Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thank you Tom Frederico (SSmokybear) for this comprehensive article.

I finally got around to installing my new dual PowerMaster Alternators. I wanted to pass along some installation tips as well as posting photos of the finished results.

In the beginning I did several searches for this mod. I only found one or two posts on the internet that really went over the installation of the dual alt mod. mdrag really help with his insight.

I first want to post the correct part numbers and the newest part numbers for the serpentine belts that are available. There is a Service Bulletin that was issued by GM in regards to the belts sizes and the squeaks associated with this factory or aftermarket modification.

Here are the part #'s needed for 6.6L Duramax trucks:

1) Second alt bracket: 97212348 approx $45
2) Idler pulley: 97233352 approx $10
3) Idler pulley bolt: 11515769 approx $3
4) Alt upper mounting bolt: 94009975 approx $2
5) New Bracket to engine bolt 94009975 approx $2
6) Alt lower mounting to engine bolt 11516360 $1.50
7) Micro-pak terminals: 12084913 (for position C1-32 on the ECU - charge
indicator control 01-03)
8) Alt 4 position connector (for use with OEM alternators only) 15306071 approx $10
9) Fusible link for alt output 15321209 approx $13

***NOTE*** Part# 94009975 bolt is for quantity TEN bolts, only TWO are needed.

For Serpentine Belt #’s and proper lengths please refer to the GM TSB below.

When installing either one or two PowerMaster Alternators you will need to get different connectors to control the alternators. These are available at any part store under the Help/Motormite name or as a Dorman’s part#.

4-Wire GM Voltage Regulator Module:
Dorman Part # 643-123
Help/Motormite Part # 85118

OEM Alternators available:
AD230 46A 105amp #10464438
AD244 67A 130amp #10464453
PowerMaster Part # 48202 (2)

When installing two PowerMaster Alternators you will need to modify the EGR coolant line behind the primary OEM Alternator by bending it in an upside-down “U” shape to allow proper clearance. It is time consuming but it can be done.

It is also recommended that the power cables from the alternators to the power block be upgraded with a thicker wire. I have not done this yet due to time constraints. But it will be done and posted here as soon as it is completed.

After all was said and done I did some tests on the new installation and here are my conclusions:

Major amperage improvement to the electrical system at idle. We went from 35-40 amps at idle with OEM alternator to well over 115 amps at idle.
The lights are WAY brighter at any engine speed with any load on the system
Major COOL factor when I pop the hood to show off the new alternators.
Found the secondary alternator rarely comes on unless a HUGE load is placed on the batteries. (We had the load machine smoking to get the 2nd alt to work) this just means I have a killer back up unit waiting to be used.
I hope all of this information is useful to you all. Please feel free to post any questions or comments about the installation and I will be happy to assist you with your mod.

Click on the photos below for larger images

·
Registered
294 Posts
Hoot

If the second alternator doesn't come on until a heavy load is applied how did this mode improve your amperage at idle?

An unrelater question, but you seem to have it down to a science. How are you posting pictures directly to your postings. If you prefer e mail me directly with this answer.

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Howie....Tom Frederico (SSmokybear) did the article. I simply put it in this forum. You can PM (Private Message) him or he may answer here.

You can post pictures a few ways. In your post reply screen, look at the icons above. The three on the right are for pictures (trees) The two with the blue vertical arrows are for people who do not have their own webspace and wish to upload th epicture to this website. It will allow you to choose a .jpg picture from your computer and it will upload to this sites server.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I too installed dual alts. I did a factory dual 105 amp route. I too was under the impression from Mdrag that they both put out at the same time.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
About how much does the alt cost?

Is there a way to switch it on when you want more amps...or does it come on when the draw is too great for the single alt?

·
Registered
59 Posts
I was wondering if someone could send or post how the wiring is done for the dual alt. mod so that I do not make any mistakes. One quick question for those who have performed the mod., "what type of amp's are being produced @ idle with dual 105 OEM's"?

Thanks,

Chris

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
chris, the dual kit I have comes with complete install instructions and everything is pre wired and terminals are installed, ready to mount.

Eric

·
Registered
220 Posts
dmaxalliTech said:
chris, the dual kit I have comes with complete install instructions and everything is pre wired and terminals are installed, ready to mount.

Eric
That's cool, but my question is about the rating
on the alternators. My '04 has the "HD" alt
thats supposedly rated at 145amps. Is your
130amp alt the same thing???

I'd rather have dual 145 alts.... :)
(if you need the part number I can go
look it up)

Thanks!

T.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I'm a newbie to the list and to the Duramax or any other diesel. Since putting in my order for the LLY I have managed to accumulate a garage full of add-ons including a Premier Welder. Has anybody any info/experience in using the 195Amp Premier Welder alternator (made by Pentex, I believe) as the second alternator? Problems, or plug-and-play? It has an external regulator coupled with the welder control panel.

Thanks.

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
freddyo said:
I'm a newbie to the list and to the Duramax or any other diesel. Since putting in my order for the LLY I have managed to accumulate a garage full of add-ons including a Premier Welder. Has anybody any info/experience in using the 195Amp Premier Welder alternator (made by Pentex, I believe) as the second alternator? Problems, or plug-and-play? It has an external regulator coupled with the welder control panel.

Thanks.
I have no experience with it but when you purchased it did they give you enough info to install it in your particular truck? Or is it generic instructions?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Terry, go to gmdieseltech.com, he's got all three (105, 130,145) alt there. great prices too!!!
AkDually61

·
Registered
235 Posts
Hoot -
Premier provides good instructions for specific installs but not for a dual alternator setup. My main concern is the effect of having two different alts installed and what kind of (wrong) assumptions the '04 CM logic might make with this setup. The Premier people provide excellent support so I am not at the end of my tether.

Thanks.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I have the GM Vortec alternators go out in the most inconvenient locations so I have always carried a spare. The dual alternator setup addresses the problem - almost. Often, what happens is not that the alterator just becomes dysfunctional, but it freezes when a bearing goes out. So the bad alterator has to be removed from the system. Questions: Can an alternate serpentine be used to bypass the primary alternator (no need for wrenching)? Or, would the secondary alternator have to be moved to the primary position (also requiring a different serpentine)?

Any answers? If not, I will have answer before I hazard this rig in the Sierra Madres and will post what I find out.

Thanks.

·
Registered
239 Posts
just wondering what is the purpose for the second alt.Edited by: BlueCrew 04 D/A SB GMC

·
Registered
235 Posts
For that price you could get a 190 amp Pentex and a complete welding setup and 110v DC from Premier Welding (Premier). I have been using this setup for years on a gasser and it is well made and a good performer. Currently I am using one to build a rack for my new baby.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Or for half of that price, two 220 amp Iraggi alternators that together put out 320 amps at idle and over 440 while driving...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts