Diesel Place banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have an idea on the back burner for awhile now. but seeing as how I have joined the 6.5/pmd crowd from the old mechanical side, i want to move this project forward.
I have a cooler design I want to try, and at the same time mount two PMD's on it, only using one at a time, but making it a simple plug swap to get back on the road.
I really have no idea why i want to do this, I have yet to have a pmd fail mounted on the pump. But it is one of those things i would like to prove can be done. As far as I know no one out there is using liquid cooled remote mounted pmd's.
So my question is, does the general population have any input on life reduction of a pmd mounted in place but not doing anything? I think it would have to take lifeout of it just due to the small amount of heat generated (my idea should keep the pmd under 120degrees).

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
A temp of 120F shouldn't reduce the life of the PMD significantly. It was designed to work in the valley of the engine where ambient temperatures far exceed that.

What you should really be concerned with is making a reliable, efficient PMD cooler. I bought the Heath Diesel PMD cooler and am very happy with it's design and efficiency. The 7 year warranty really helps too.

I had an FSD cooler, but still had the occasional failure.

Jake

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Liquid cooled would be neat...it would be even more complex than the peltier junction I am working on...

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Liquid cooled would be neat...it would be even more complex than the peltier junction I am working on...
what ever happened 2 the peltier junction. any updates ???

·
Registered
5,863 Posts
Here we go again.:lol: :muahaha:

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
what ever happened 2 the peltier junction. any updates ???
Still trying to find a cheaper connector - like I said in another post - I am going to wait until spring and then go to a wrecker and see what I can find to make up a harness.

·
Registered
5,863 Posts
Still trying to find a cheaper connector - like I said in another post - I am going to wait until spring and then go to a wrecker and see what I can find to make up a harness.
That is the common misery we have with trying to do our own thing with the PMD. Those miserable friggin connectors.

·
Registered
935 Posts
I picked up a heat sink on ebay pretty cheap. It is bigger than the ready made ones I have seen. Here is a pic of the sink when I was making brackets. The pmd is on it since the pic and will fit the harness without extending.
Ted

Attachments

·
Registered
5,863 Posts
Ted, it will be just as hot there as it is on the pump. Gotta get it out of the engine bay.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I picked up a heat sink on ebay pretty cheap. It is bigger than the ready made ones I have seen. Here is a pic of the sink when I was making brackets. The pmd is on it since the pic and will fit the harness without extending.
Ted
What happened to your insulation on the firewall? It's missing

·
Registered
471 Posts
Ted, it will be just as hot there as it is on the pump. Gotta get it out of the engine bay.
Ditto that. I had one there that lasted two years. relocated under front bumper 3 years ago with no problems in South Texas.

If you try to mount 2 on one heat sink, even the one not connected will get hot or warm., thus reducing the life of it.

I carry a spare in the glove box with a screw driver to unsrew the old one from the heat sink in case it fails and attach the new one.

I'll prolly never need it now!

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
Ditto that. I had one there that lasted two years. relocated under front bumper 3 years ago with no problems in South Texas.

If you try to mount 2 on one heat sink, even the one not connected will get hot or warm., thus reducing the life of it.

I carry a spare in the glove box with a screw driver to unsrew the old one from the heat sink in case it fails and attach the new one.

I'll prolly never need it now!
exactly, mounting your spare may not be the best thing for it. The pmd is well known to fail. It's good to have a spare in the glove box. But they are not like condoms. You can get more than one use out of them.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,863 Posts

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
:badidea:

·
Registered
337 Posts

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
In the GM line of Weather-Pak connectors, every male-pin connector in that series is part of another module-type sub-assembly, where the module case forms that part of the connector.

Only solution, so far, is to cut defunct FSD modules apart for the connector.

This 'quest' comes up at least three times a year, on every Forum.

After-market FSD extension cables all have this connector custom-formed and assembled.

BTW, Brian - hi temps won't hurt the FSD when it is not in a circuit with power-applied.

However, oxidation\corrosion can deteriorate the connector, if left exposed.

So - better to keep the spare somewhere not in the engine bay.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts