Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 3500 One ton 4x4 dually, cab and chassis with dual fuel tanks. To fuel the truck I never fuel up while truck is running and fill the front tank first. I do this to eliminate messing up the fuel guage and I under stand the rear tank pumps fuel to the front tank. Twice now my gauge read 1/2 to 3/4 and the truck runs out of fuel (which I discovered the hard way) on the front tank. When this happens is there any way to make the rear tank pump fuel manualy to the front or rest the pump. Calling for fuel on the hiway is no picnic. I use my truck for work in the oil and gas industry and we can be a long way from any services. It has done this twice now in about 9 months and the dealer after getting towed becouse I had lots of fuel but not in the front tank. It rest after I fueled the truck up. Thank you. PS. I will be asking my service manger when I get time off.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Welcome, I don't hve an answer for you, just like to see another Albertan on the board. I am from Medicine Hat and am a Compleations consultant. dmaxalliTech should have an answer for you, he is a great guy to have around.

Cheers

BearEdited by: Bearman

·
Registered
149 Posts
Another "no answer" for you but I'm from Swift Current, Sask and it's good to see other Canadians on board. This is a great forum and I'm learning lots! Thank You moderators and users! Glen

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
must have missed this q first time around..oops.

The transfer pump is supposed to automatically feed the front tank when the front tank is below a certain level. I believe its around 1/4 tank. It should run at key up. Its possible that it may be setting a code and causing your issues. If a code is set it will not allow the front tank gauge to work. The pump is located on the frame rail along the drivers side. You could tie into the pump wiring and install a switch to command it on. I would use a indicator light so you dont forget to shut it off. I would get it checked out at next possible time because you shouldnt have to go through it in the first place

Eric

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you Eric, the only time I would like to transfer fuel is if I get a problem with the transfering of fuel unexpectingly on the road. Ths way I can pump fuel to the front tank and then prime and be on the road again and then have it serviced.

Few hours after fueling up the truck this morning and working on some hills my fuel gauge quit and the low fuel light is on. It does not seem to want to rest. I will have this serviced a.s.a.p. I would like to be able to pump fuel if it quits again. Thanks for the reply I have been very busy also.

Hello Bear and Army

·
Registered
174 Posts
This seems to be an old and cold thread, but in case anyone is still interested. There seems to be logic that compares the fuel level in the two tanks and pumps from the rear to the front when the front's level is a certain amount below the front tank's level. Here's a way to check if your pump is working. Try to pick a day and time when the pumps are quite (-: At the fill-up turn the engine off, then turn the key to ON. Remove both caps, slowly fill the rear tank and LISTEN for a buzzing sound, that is the pump cutting in. Stop filling and wait for the pump to stop, start filling again. If you have all day keep doing this until the rear tank is full, the front tank should also be full or nearly so. There is SOME danger that you'll get overflow out of the front tank, so watch things closely. I know, this is a dumb stunt to pull, but it verifies that the system is trying to keep about the same level of fuel in the two tanks. If the rear tank fills and you don't hear the pump cut in at all, try filling the front tank. It should be obvious (from how much you thought you had in each tank) whether the pump cut in and you just didn't hear it, or it just didn't cut in. It will probably be obvious from the amount you are able to get into the rear tank (or not). Without having actually measured it, my impression is that the circuit is sensitive to within about a gallon, i.e. pump in a gallon and it will switch on, it will pump until it has transfered about 1/2 gallon, it will wake up again when you add another gallon, etc. This works on an '03, there might be a simpler 1/4 tank left switch on other years, or on other trim/option levels.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I assume that these dual tanks are on the chassis cabs. Is there any way to add the second tank to a regular production truck (see sig)? I am looking at replacing the existing tank with w Supertank or Transfer Flow but just adding another would be great!

Thanks, Zeke

·
Registered
174 Posts
Yes, but you would be giving up the space where your spare wheel and tire currently live, i.e. it is "behind the rear axle" and somehow I think that might not be PSC compliant for passenger vehicles. There might be a difference in the front tank's fittings, more ins and outs, so you might have to change that. Anyway, I think the parts would fit, just a question of where to put the spare. With chassis/cab, well I could limp home on 5 if I had to, though most commercial people sign up for a tire service and just call if/when they get a flat. Buying spare tires to not use adds up on a fleet, generally cheaper to call a service.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know this is an old post but I thought I would add the wiring diagram for the tanks to it . You can get the image by googling this string 2003-silverado-wiring-diagram-4-5ae12e1e416be

1 - 9 of 9 Posts