Diesel Place banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that most of these diesels (if not all ) have 2 batteries and if my memory serves me correclty they run in series to make 24 volts. but the rest of the truck is 12 volt system. How is it seperated from the 24 volt system. or am I mistaken and they are run in parrallel to make a strong 12 volt?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool that clears up alot. I havent been able to figure out how to drop off from 24 volts to 12 for the reat of the truck Thanks for the help .

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
You need to replace the starter with a 12v one and switch some of the wiring around. We did it to ours a week ago, the directions are on here.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If the batteries are parrallel then is is a moot point , they are 12 volt, just using 2 batteries for extra amperage. Mine is not a military so it should need 12 volts.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
All civilian 6.2 trucks were built with two 12V batteries, hooked in parallel. The entire truck is a 12V system. The truck electrical system is the same as any gas engine chassis. The only difference is the dual battery setup for the diesel engine.

I've converted gas engine chassis' to diesel engines. Just add a battery and the necessary wiring changes. The electrical accessories don't know the difference.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Yeah I have an m1008 that I just converted from 24v to 12 volt today. Took me the better part of the afternoon to change around all of the wiring around and to remove one of the alternators and the wiring for the second alternator and to remove the resistor and all. Wasnt too bad.

Remington

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Change all the wiring around? it took me 2 hours to do it. Then again I was keeping both alts to go with seperate systems for vehicle and accessories.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Could you post a pic of your dual alt setup? I'd like to add a second one to mine for accessories and am not sure where to stick it.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Well I dont have a pic to post of the dual alternator because I have already taken it out, but its basically the same passenger side setup, but on the driver side where the ac compressor usually goes is another alternator instead.

Remington

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.