Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My soon-to-be-here truck will have the dual alternator option. I will be putting a slide-in camper on the back and was hoping that with the right setup of aux battery type, isolation device, wire size, etc. I could charge up the aux batteries in a very short (relitively) time. Does anyone have any info or link to info on how the dual alternators are wired and requlated.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Is it a Dmax?

If it is you can't isolate the second battery and run the camper off it because both batteries are are required to start it....
They are not set up like the gassers with the optional aux battery.

If you've got a spot in the camper for batteries your plan would work.

There are some folks around here who know about that kind of stuff, perhaps one or more of them might pick up this thread.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I like the Hellroaring solid state isolators. http://hellroaring.com/ Wired correctly, they can transfer 300A.

Make sure to use the same type of battery in your deep cycle as you are using in your starting system. You want to minimize voltage differences. For example, if you switch to optimas up front for the starting batteries, make sure you use absorbed gas mat batteries when you buy your deep cylcle batteries. I don't know if the GM ones are flooded or sealed, but whatever they are, make sure you use the same type when you buy the deep cycles.

For wire size and try http://www.wranglernw.com/ they have a wire size calculator that comes in handy here: http://www.wranglernw.com/wire/ Their products are slightly pricey, but they've got a great selection of electrical stuff if you get their catalog.

You should be able to charge your batteries VERY fast once the isolator is open. I think you will have so much amperage that the limiting factor will be the batterys' ability to accept the charge. You may want to tap into the stock system where you hook the jumper cables up to (towards the outside of the driver's side alternator).

Here's a pic of the setup I did in my RV w/ 4 6v golf cart batteries wired series/parallel to produce 450Ah of 12v.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I just looked at the Hellroaring diagram...

For your setup, switch trailer battery and battery 2 in the diagram. Battery 1 and 2 would be the stock GM battery locations.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Zeeb, yes it is a duramax. I plan to install four Odyssey PC1700 AGM batteries in the bed of the truck in the space next to the bed and ahead of the wheel wells. This is unused space when a slid-in camper is loaded. I will isolate these batteries from my starting batteries with something like the Hellroaring isolator shown above by mbeckwith. The odyssey batteries have a charge profile very similar to regular starting batteries. In addition to the excellent deep-cycle properties they are also have a high cranking amp rating so when my starting batteries wear out I will relace those with Odysseys. These batteries have no limit on charge current. So if the isolator will handle 300A then the limiting factor will be the alternator output and wire size. If I knew the max current that the alternators will supply then I can determine appropriate wire size and know if my normal amount of driving will be enough to charge the batteries or if I will need some other charging source to use when parked (solar or generator)

·
Registered
6,013 Posts
mbeckwith i used the same battery setup in my boat. loads of power.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts