Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like the truck my dealer found is not available
... So, looks like I'll be ordering a truck. The question is, should I get the dual altenators or not? My theory is it's better to have more power than needed than not enough, so I'm leaning towards getting it. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
747 Posts
I would say get 'em. I have them and the extra juice will probably come in handy once I get everything installed(lights, siren, custom audio, and possibly a winch or two).

·
Registered
570 Posts
I was in the same position as you, I special ordered my truck because that was one of the options I wanted. I say get them, plus you then can build the truck just the way you want it.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
When I ordered mine, I left that option off only because Eric has a whole kit that he made up that I could install when I was ready. In hindsight, I should have just got that option too.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I am ready to order a truck this weekend also, but do not see the option to have dual alternators. Is this option only available on 3500?'s? If not I will have to request it from the dealer.

We should start a thread for those of us about to order and see who gets their's first! We could buy the last one to receive their truck a cold beer or something!

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well... Assuming everything goes good tomorrow (payments, etc), I'll probably have my dealer wait until 4/1 to place the order so as to see what rebates come up next. He felt that they would either stay the same or maybe get a little better, If that happens, I'll have him place the order. We'll see what happens.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi!

I would say get the dual alts. I took a truck off the lot and had to add the second alt myself. Not a bad or expensive job, but I would have ordered them if I'd ordered a truck. I mainly have mine for charging two large batteries in our 5'er along with the dual batts in the truck. And, I read some discussion suggesting we might get more life out of two alternators together than two running alone (one replacing another). I had the lone alternator on my '97 2500 6.5L TD burn out every 60K while I had it. The thought is the heavy load on the single alternator shortened its life considerably where the dual alt setup could handle it. I do know that before I added my second alt., the voltage gauge would drop to 9 volts immediately after start up with the glow plugs, intake heater, and fuel heater all running, and remain there for 15 seconds or so. Now, I hardly notice any voltage drop at all. The only drawback I find is one healthy "chirp" off the serpentine belt every time I shut it down now. But, I've even gotten to kind of like that

Good Luck!

DonEdited by: biglakedmax

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well... I DID IT! Just ordered my new truck today. '04 Silverado LT CC D/A, 2500HD, LOADED with all the options (incl. dual alts). Can't wait!

·
Registered
570 Posts
Cougar281 said:
Well... I DID IT! Just ordered my new truck today. '04 Silverado LT CC D/A, 2500HD, LOADED with all the options (incl. dual alts). Can't wait!

Congrats
, you will love it.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I got Dual Alts in mine, but that's just cuz I got so much juice requiremente from all the KC lights, the Winch, and the Stereo!

I couldn't order the truck with dual alts, so I had to pay the $400 after! Never regret it though!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts