Diesel Place banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seen this as an added option but didnt get it on my truck.....is this somthing that will make my batteries last longer? Is it somthing i need to look in to adding to my truck or is this a factory install only??:confuzeld

·
Registered
641 Posts
I got in on my 06 just to charge my batteries quicker as I have a rather short drive to work... Plus helps with the stereo eq that I am running.

·
Banned
1,840 Posts
Wish i got mine. Will need them next winter. Plow relays drain voltage down to 9volts when in constant use. Dual altenators def. a must for plowing.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I think for most of us they are not really necessary. For me it was a "Why the he!! Not" decision. The little order form box was there and it wanted me to check it.):h

It is nice to know there is an extra one, But it could be viewed as just another thing that will eventually need to be replaced.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Think it is a great option if you put a plow on.
,STAN

·
Registered
2 Posts
dual altenators

What was the output of the altenators both single and duel? They had them some years ago for emergency vehicles and such. If you are running a highter load then it could be for you. Wondering when they will have AC power for high power loads and DC for low power loads??? It would be better then highter voltage DC for most things.

·
Registered
122 Posts
What was the output of the altenators both single and duel? They had them some years ago for emergency vehicles and such. If you are running a highter load then it could be for you. Wondering when they will have AC power for high power loads and DC for low power loads??? It would be better then highter voltage DC for most things.
The single alt. is 145 amp.The duals are 105 amps each.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I ordered the dual alternators to help in charging the batteries in our 5'er when we're running down the road. Lot's of juice needed at night with all the running lights burning. There's a pic of them in my garage.

Truck on!!!:cool:

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Is it somthing I need to look in to adding to my truck or is this a factory install only?
You can add another alternator later, but the factory option is a lot less expensive. It's also less expensive to upgrade one or both 105amp alternators (if you need to) than adding a second alternator to the standard 145amp single alt.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well

It looks to me like i dont need them......i dont plan on putting a plow on .....and I dont want to go buy 2 more LOL well thanks all.....

·
Registered
825 Posts
Wish i got mine. Will need them next winter. Plow relays drain voltage down to 9volts when in constant use. Dual altenators def. a must for plowing.
Unless you have a whole bunch of other 12v accessories in the truck, you really won't need the duals. As long as you have the plow prep package w/the 145amp alt., you'll be all set. What kind of plow?

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Can you put the dual set up on a gasser too?

·
Registered
204 Posts
i had the 145 amp with my western plow and that baby still dropped like a rock voltage wise. I switched to dual 105's and my guage bearly moves when i go plow up. I put the 145 on my gasser for a little help there. But my diesel has the duals and it also helps cuz i like lights and stereo's and air horns n such.

-mike

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Thanks for the info, but you didn't really answer my question. Can dual alternators be put on the gasser or are the belts and such different?

·
Registered
825 Posts
i had the 145 amp with my western plow and that baby still dropped like a rock voltage wise. I switched to dual 105's and my guage bearly moves when i go plow up. I put the 145 on my gasser for a little help there. But my diesel has the duals and it also helps cuz i like lights and stereo's and air horns n such.

-mike
Really, you had trouble with the single 145 and your plow? I have the 145 on my truck with a Fisher blade on there and I just got back from a long day/night of plowing with no trouble at all. The voltage meter would drop a little bit when using the plow a lot, but it wasn't an issue at all. As soon as I let of the joystick, it went right back up.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
You don't need Duels alternators for plowing. I have electric salter, electric plow and electric host on my mason dump I never had problems with power. Even with a gas truck with the same set up duel batteries and one 105 amp alternator no problems with power.

The problem comes from all the accessories tacked on the side mount batterys all those connections are prone to loosen from all the weight and build up with corrosion.

·
Commissioner Gordon
5,139 Posts
Thanks for the info, but you didn't really answer my question. Can dual alternators be put on the gasser or are the belts and such different?
Short answer is no. The D'Max has a spot for the second alt. all you need is an alt, addon bracket, belt etc. The gassers don't have that spot set aside for the duals, aftermarket may have something though.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts