Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We got one extended cab bright red SLE2 in on friday. Luckly our local station just changed over to Ultra-Low fuel.

The truck drove pretty much the same as we are used to. But the most quiet I have driven. Almost no interior noise at highway speeds. Interior is confortable.

Underneath not as many changes as the 1/2 tons, a lot of the same chassis componants, more crossmembers frame to frame. Transfercase has a new cast and all kinds of exhuast. The tailpipe is going to take some getting used to and I miss the fender flares.

Time will tell.....

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
Welcome to the club! You can always change the exhaust :)

·
Registered
846 Posts
Scott2500hd;1586272; said:
We got one extended cab bright red SLE2 in on friday. Luckly our local station just changed over to Ultra-Low fuel.

The truck drove pretty much the same as we are used to. But the most quiet I have driven. Almost no interior noise at highway speeds. Interior is confortable.

Underneath not as many changes as the 1/2 tons, a lot of the same chassis componants, more crossmembers frame to frame. Transfercase has a new cast and all kinds of exhuast. The tailpipe is going to take some getting used to and I miss the fender flares.

Time will tell.....
wonder if they finally eliminated the pump rub?

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
probably with a new t-case

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
and oh ya :nopics:

·
Registered
549 Posts
Thanks Scott. Do you still hear the pilot injection turn off at highway speeds? They wouldn't have changed it so the pilot injection stays on all the time would they?

·
Registered
1,565 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jasondt2001;1586300; said:
Welcome to the club! You can always change the exhaust :)
When I say we got one I mean our dealership.......sorry.

I am not ready to trade yet...........

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
RoadShark;1586537; said:
Thanks Scott. Do you still hear the pilot injection turn off at highway speeds? They wouldn't have changed it so the pilot injection stays on all the time would they?
When I say quiet I mean quiet:D you will have to really listen to hear pilot changes.....you will really be impressed.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I tryed to get some pictures when it was on the lift,camera issue.

You will recognize most of the chassis componants, besides exhuast and tcase. Tcase looks completly new.

If we have one they should hit other dealers soon, I see the trucks every day, so I would rather hear your opinions.

Get out there and drive em..........:D

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
I didn't get to take one out on the highway, but just driving it around the parking lot at a trade show the interior noise level (or lack thereof) is what impressed me the most and stood out almost more than anything.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
When I test drive one its a test drive to my house!

·
Registered
549 Posts
Scott, what do you think they did to get them that quiet vs an LBZ? I'm wondering, being that it's hard to tell when PI turns off at highway speeds, if someone used EFILive to turn off PI alltogether, would there likely still be more clatter to hear at low RPM's like there would be doing the same with an LBZ? Just curious cause I like atleast a little diesel sound :)

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
In my opinion the exterior noise when the hood is open, not a whole lot differant than the LBZ.

I think the big change is when the hood is shut, or in the cab. I think they really went the extra mile on sealing the engine compartment noise. A lot of sound material and design is in the new body.

I also drove a new 6.0 gasser 2500 HD with the new six speed 6L80-E.....once agian very quiet.

At this point interior sound, comfort and option varitey is what stands out to me even more than the drivetrain.

The new SLE1 and SLE2 packages allow a lot of interior options for the non SLT guys.

We still got a ton of classics.....hope we can sell em....;)

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I will try to get it back on the lift and get some real detailed pics for ya....

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
its no longer an NP261/263 transfer case. the new ones are Magna Powertrain MP1226. MP bought New Process/New Venture, but it still looks to be different than the old 261/263's because the new low range is 2.68 vs. 2.72....

·
Registered
549 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Scott,

I have a2500HD Crew Cab, Long Bed, Dmax on order.
Do you know anything about the installation of this new cargo management system? At an auto show a guy from GMC told me that the factory install is different from a dealer install on the cargo management system. But when I look at the bed on the new trucks, there appear to be plastic knockouts where the clips for the rails go along the sides & back of the bed. This leads me to believe that the factory & dealer installs must be the same. I am concerned about a dealer install on the rails being different fromo & not as strong as the factory install. Any insight?
Thanks

·
Registered
116 Posts
RoadShark;1587461; said:
Was New Process owned by Chrysler at one time? Like during the era of the NP203?
Yes, it was. Co. I worked for dealt with New Process in the 70's and it was affiliated with Chrysler at the time. We used their transfer cases in off-road heavy machinery (log skidders).

Rodeworthy

1 - 20 of 31 Posts