Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have not yet had the pleasure of installing the Nicktane Kit.But it is on the top of my list!Maybe a suggestion for some when I replace the fuel tank senders or pump modules on pickups with a regular bed or dually.I remove the mounting bolts from the left frame rail to bed and loosen the right bolts,remove the three 7mm screws from filler neck.Then lift the bed a chock it with a block of wood between the rear tire and the bottom of the bed.Maybe this might help access.I am not all together sure what the install process is but if I can avoid dropping a tank, I do..

·
Registered
91 Posts
Never looked at how the bed is mounted to the frame - but are there any levelers (shims - for lack of a better word) that need to be carefully accounted for when removing the bed? It seems there may be something required to match or align the bed to the cab to make sure all the body lines remain true. Or are the GM products so well engineered, no such adjustments are needed

I just saw a newer (late '90's) Ford that had obvious body or chassis problems. The body lines and trim on the rear of the truck were waaaay off from the mating body trim and lines on the cab - probably an inch or so. Seeing that the truck appeared to be in otherwise good condition, wondered if it was a backyard bed adjustment gone bad!Edited by: BKG-22

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
i would say removing the tank is much easier than the bed.. never removed the bed, but the tank takes about 10 min. to lower...

·
Registered
403 Posts
As I have stated in other posts, I have a close friend who is a line tech at the local Chev. dealer.

He has metioned more than once that when he has a fuel pump replacement on a pickup, {which requires either dropping tank or lifting bed} he always lifts the bed. Says it is faster, cleaner, and easier.

But of course he is working with a lift also!

·
Registered
909 Posts
I guess if you have the correct tools lifting the bed would be easier. I just can't imagine getting my arms wrapped around the bed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts