Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering a 5500 once again... but came up with something interesting.

Multilift:

http://www.atlaspolar.com/pro_tru/pro_tru_mls.cfm?product=Multilift%20Hooklift%20Systems&model=XR4/5

Get 4 beds for it. 3 flat/stakebeds and one dump body.

Put a camper circa the lance/kodiak combo posted in here on one of the beds, keep the other 2 clear for the most part, and obviously dump body for dumping.

This rig would be a plow truck as well, so one of the beds would probably have a spreader mounted onto it.

This way, I could easily change up what I want to do, by simply hooking and rolling, literally.

Plus, I could probably make some money doing odd job stuff up here in the summertime for construction companies etc.

Whaddya all think? Just some off the wall ideas or semi-innovative? I know the military does something along the same lines with the HET-LMS vehicle.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I think it's a pretty solid idea. I didn't see a price though. Plus you'd need room to store the beds while not in use. But living in AK, that shouldn't be a problem. I wish I had *half* the room here that I had when I was in AK. Still have all the toys, but no room to store 'em.

·
Registered
6,097 Posts
:grd:

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well the big rigs with the lift setups run in the range of 115,000$ used from what I have looked at. I would be significantly lower in weight range, 9000lbs payload. Figure I could probably see about a trailer setup as well, especially if I ended up doing more hauling. Who knows, right now I'm just pipe dreaming and I hate having such a capable vehicle "stuck" as a single purpose rig like one with a hauler body, etc. Utility bed would be nice but then towing and other stuff is cut off.. Flat bed is nice but then I need underbody boxes... then what if I want to go camping? A Lance on the back w/ a built up bed/boxes w/ generator, fuel tank, propane... mobile home, anyone? LOL

Ideas ideas.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Sounds like you want a Unimog. Extremely versitile and capable.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah but they're handicapped regarding the highway. As it stands, I'd be putting an overdrive unit on the truck for the longer hauls to increase fuel economy anyway.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I too have been doing the drooling - and looked at a multi-lift system. While their versatility are unmatched, I decided to look towards an aluminum dump for our purposes. Couple of reasons - the roll-off would decrease overall payload by 1500+ lbs - lift weight and steel dump body weight - which is enough to bring payload back into the 8000-8500 lb range - which isn't as significant a difference over a 3600 cab & chassis to justify the additional cost. Which also brings into account the cost - roll off units here are averaging $24-32K, as opposed to $9-10K for an aluminum dump. The dump can be configured with removable sides, to act as a flat deck as well.

For our pruposes, while the versatility of the roll-off set up is undisputed, it seems like excessive cost for something that we don't really require anyhow. Currently all our building materials are shipped to the site at no additional cost, so the main purpose would be to transport excavated materials and granulars to and from the site. The dump body would also become useful during snow removal when equipped with a hydraulic tailgate spreader, powered by a PTO pump.

As a side note, today I had an opportunity to drive a new 2005 5500 4x4 - and was quite impressed with the driveability. While it certainly doesn't ride like a 1/2 ton, it was very easy to maneouver, has great sight lines and visibility, and drives small for it's size. I was a little dissapointed with the rattles and noises from trim and such in the interior - but then again, this is a work truck for us and not a cruiser. Truck seems to have good power, the Allison is a marvel, and so far I'm impressed.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, I just like the idea to let this truck do more than just one thing, if I end up getting one. Just took a test drive of a crew stakebed, niiiiice. Drives like a real truck. The air ride seat is going to take some getting used to though.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I use a similiar bed setup at work. Its made by Swap-Loader (swaploader.com)
Its an awesome setup...just obviously couldnt use a fifthwheel/gooseneck setup on it. I work for A&B Lumber, you'll see the truck on the front page. We currently have two beds for it, a flatbed and a box truck.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Actually, I think I could rig it so I could still do a 5th wheel/goosneck, I'd just end up dropping the bed and putting the hitch on, depending on the actual mechanism height etc. I'd have to look.

·
Registered
484 Posts
If you do find a way please take pictures..im very curious :) I believe the Swap Loader frame is about 8-10" tall....above the Truck's frame.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts