Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my Passenger side DRL burn out yesterday. I replaced it and found the socket to be dark brown and burnt. The new bulb burnt out today. I replaced again only to have that one burn out.
Has anyone else had this happen? Is this a problem with the DRL design? I noticed today that every other "New body style" truck has one of the DRL's burnt out. Talked to one guy at the fuel pumps and he said he had his sockets replaced 4 times under warranty.

Any hope here?

Mike

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
Mine are brown and look overheated but still work fine.
I use the amber bulbs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
On my old-style '99 Tahoe, the rear blinkers recently quit working, and when I popped the cover off ,the bulb was discolored, but apparently not burned out, and the socket was melted. I tried replacing the buld, and that worked for about 10 minutes, then it quit working. It would work temporarily but would never last long. The only way to fix the issue was to buy a new $60 "plate" as GM calls it with three bulb sockets (one for brake/running lights, one for blinkers, and one for backup lights) and its been fine ever since. This happened on the driver's and passenger's side within 6 months of each other.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OUCH!! Looks like it is back into the stealer! The truck is only 4 1/2 months old and 13000 miles. I don't think this should be happening at this time.

Hoot, I run the cool blue 3157 bulbs in it. They give off a white light with a slight blue tint. May switch to the ambers. I just had my concerns on how it would look on the Pewter.

Mike

·
Registered
234 Posts
I put the Amber lamps in pretty much right after I got the truck and have zero issues with lamp burn out.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Would replacing with the LED type bulb help? The use a lot less current.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts