Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So eveytime I hit a bump my rear end makes a noise, kinda like a mettalic rubbing noise that is clickish in nature..LOL, cannot replicated by bouncing the truck, but pretty sure it is local the the drivers rear, anyone else have this. Thinking it could possible be the tailgate, but I doubt it

·
Registered
444 Posts
Your leaf springs?
Spray some dry lube between the spring leaves and on the hangers. You want the dry lube stuff so when the "wet" vehicle that carrys the graphite dries, it leaves a dry lube behind. This will keep grit from getting stuck to an oily lubricant variety.Edited by: JohnnyO

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
There are black plastic spacers that go between the leafs. Yours are probably missing.

<H1>Rear Leaf Spring Slap or Clunk Noise (Replace Spring Insert and Insulator) #03-03-09-002 - (12/02/2003)</H1>

</TABLE>Rear Leaf Spring Slap or Clunk Noise (Replace Spring Insert and Insulator)

1999-2004 Chevrolet Silverado 1500/2500 Series Pickups

2000-2004 Chevrolet Suburban 2500 Series

2002-2004 Chevrolet Avalanche 2500 Series

1999-2004 GMC Sierra 1500/2500 Series Pickups

2000-2004 GMC Yukon XL 2500 Series<A name=ss1-1409394><A href="http://service.gm.com/servlets/BlobShtml?ShtmlFile=1409394&pubid=297#ss1-1409394" target="_blank">
<H5>Condition</A></H5>

Some customers may comment on a rear leaf spring slap or clunk noise. This noise is most apparent when the vehicle is operated over irregular road surfaces.<A name=ss2-1409394><A href="http://service.gm.com/servlets/BlobShtml?ShtmlFile=1409394&pubid=297#ss2-1409394" target="_blank">
<H5>Correction</A></H5>

Verify that the rear leaf spring inserts (1) and insulators (2) are present on the leading and trailing ends of the overload spring. The insert may have broken apart from wear and fallen out. If the insert and insulator are not present, install new ones.

<H4>Important</H4>

On 1500 Series pickups, the vehicle must be raised to allow the springs to separate enough so the insert can be installed.

<A name=ss3-1409394><A href="http://service.gm.com/servlets/BlobShtml?ShtmlFile=1409394&pubid=297#ss3-1409394" target="_blank">
<H5>Parts Information</A></H5>

<TABLE width="100%" border=1>
<T>
<TR>
<TH vAlign=bottom align=middle>

Part Number</TH>

Description</TH></TR>
<TR>
<TD vAlign=center align=middle>

15604067</TD>

Insert, Spring Leaf</TD></TR>
<TR>

15053476</TD>

Insulator, Rear Spring Leaf</TD></TR></T></TABLE>

Parts are currently available from GMSPO.<A name=ss4-1409394><A href="http://service.gm.com/servlets/BlobShtml?ShtmlFile=1409394&pubid=297#ss4-1409394" target="_blank">
<H5>Warranty Information</A></H5>

For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

<TABLE width="100%" border=1>
<T>
<TR>

Labor Operation</TH>

Description</TH>

Labor Time</TH></TR>
<TR>

E5168*</TD>

Insulator and/or Insert, Rear Leaf Spring - One or All - Replace</TD>

0.2 hr</TD></TR></T></TABLE>

* This is a new labor operation number. The next update of the Labor Time Guide will contain this new number.

<TABLE width="100%">
<T>
<TR>
<TD align=left width=778>GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whethe

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
all of my spacers are there, and it takes hardly any movement, ven just light acceleration makes the noise, sounds like christmas ornaments clanking together and I for the life of m cannot replicated it no matter where I bounce the truck up and down.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think it is the E-brake cable bouncing on the hangar after some looking aroundunderneath banging on stuff to replicate the noise, now if only I was immortal and could sit under my truck as it made the noise while driving..would make my job quite a bit easier..ha

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so if the parking brake is making th noise, would I notice uneven braking power if I were to test it?? IE: gently useing the parking brake pedal while holding the release to see if there is a pull. I notice that with it engaged slightly right before I hit the bump, noise is still apparent. I just wanna avoid the dealer if I can avoid them hotroddingmy friggin truck or learning to drive stick with mine when I could just fix it myself.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
*update* Had friend sit on left side of truck, noise gets alot quieter, leads me to believe it is the springs, or the bed mounts.

·
Registered
362 Posts
If you have nerf bars check where they mount to the frame or body. I had to make some plastic bushings to go between mine where they mount. Problem solved!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts