Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 04 2500 HD Ext cab, 6.0L, 4.10 rears. Everything stock at this point. 36K miles.

A few weeks ago it began making a noise in the drive train after driving at highway speeds for a decent amount of time. Tranny temp gets to around 125. After stopping at a intersection, the next time you pull out it has a low pitched shutter that sounds and feels like the tranny slipping.

I took it to the dealer and they could not reproduce it. I told them to do a flush service on the tranny then picked it up. No change, the noise was exactly the same. I scheduled it to go back and while driving there, the front axle went out of it, badly. They had to replace the whole unit. The diagnosis was a spun bearing in the pinion, and it came apart in pieces.

I picked it up last week and the noise is still present. It is currently back at the dealer. I think that the problem is in the transfer case which I believe has a limited slip diff. My feeling is that the fluid is breaking down on long high speed runs and not allowing the unit to slip as needed. It kind of reminds me of the noise you used to hear from old posi rears after driving on the interstate for a while. Placing the truck in 4x4 at the stop sign seems to keep it from making the noise when you pull out.

Has anyone else have any other ideas? I am going to the dealership on Fri to take the tran tech for a ride and show him. Does my theory seem to make sense?

any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just thought I would let you all know what the problem was. I just got the truck back from the dealer and it ended up being the transfer case fluid. Original fluid is Dexron III and GM has now started using Auto Trak 4 (I think that was the GM name). Supp. it has silicone additives that are working better in limited slip setups. The tech told me that the "cones were binding up when the fluid got to operating temp due to break down of the fluid"

Anyways, the noise is gone and my gas mileage seems to have returned to normal.

The best thing.....everything was covered under warranty. The truck had 35,500 miles when it first went in. I will consider myself lucky for now.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Thanks for letting us the resolution to your problem.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
17 Posts
I need to know more about the vibration or drivetrain noise. I had the tranny pump leak on me about 2 months ago and it was starting to vibrate before then. They also found grooves in the torque converter upon replacement. The noise seem to go away for about a day and it was back. I'm also noticing a little slippage on hard acceleration. Does this sound familiar?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The noise that I was hearing was low pitched, almost a rubbing sound. It did it only when you pulled out from a complete stop after travelling at a constant speed just prior (i.e. interstate travel). It never did it on a rolling stop. Usually it happened just at the first stop then seemed to be fine after. I did get it to do it a few times while running around town, but the tranny was still warm from the highway travel. The tranny was around 135 degrees.

BTW the name of the fluid that they refilled the transfer case with is Auto Track II. It is a GM product. Not sure of the aftermarket equivalent.

Everything seems to be fine since they changed the fluid.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have an 04 2500 HD Ext cab, 6.0L, 4.10 rears. Everything stock at this point. 36K miles.

A few weeks ago it began making a noise in the drive train after driving at highway speeds for a decent amount of time. Tranny temp gets to around 125. After stopping at a intersection, the next time you pull out it has a low pitched shutter that sounds and feels like the tranny slipping.

I took it to the dealer and they could not reproduce it. I told them to do a flush service on the tranny then picked it up. No change, the noise was exactly the same. I scheduled it to go back and while driving there, the front axle went out of it, badly. They had to replace the whole unit. The diagnosis was a spun bearing in the pinion, and it came apart in pieces.

I picked it up last week and the noise is still present. It is currently back at the dealer. I think that the problem is in the transfer case which I believe has a limited slip diff. My feeling is that the fluid is breaking down on long high speed runs and not allowing the unit to slip as needed. It kind of reminds me of the noise you used to hear from old posi rears after driving on the interstate for a while. Placing the truck in 4x4 at the stop sign seems to keep it from making the noise when you pull out.

Has anyone else have any other ideas? I am going to the dealership on Fri to take the tran tech for a ride and show him. Does my theory seem to make sense?

any help is appreciated.
I have a 2005 2500HD 6.0 410.1 and have a drive train (I Think) noise that occurs when locked in D3,2, or1 at very low speeds. In D3 it occurs at 20-25 mph and in D2, and D1 at even lower speeds.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts