Diesel Place banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I replaced my drive shaft's center support bearing and in the process took the dust cover off the front smaller drive shaft without thinking (thought a new one would come with the bearing). Now the front of the bearing is more exposed than it would be normally, and wondering if anyone has ideas on where to get new ones (if even possible)? Should I even worry about it?

It's the small disc like cover that slides over the drive shaft before the bearing does. If I can't get a replacement without getting a new drive shaft I may just fab up a dust shield and bolt it over the bearing housing.

Edit: I'm talking about the disc/dish like cover on the right of this image just before the actual girth of the drive shaft begins.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So it seems a lot of aftermarket manufacturers have stopped making the bearings, and the ones that all the major parts stores carry do not include the correct dust shields. The newest one I put on has a small lip that gets really close to the ridge on the drive shaft and probably keeps most of the dust out due to proximity, but I packed it with grease to help keep it cleaner.

I guess the short answer is, no one makes the dust covers/shields anymore. I'll just end up fabbing one from some sheet metal to help keep snow/salt out during winter.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts