Diesel Place banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
where did every one drill there egt at? In the edge book it says to do it in the manifold. But will the shavings go in the turbo and what about when the probe breaks off

·
Registered
514 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
After I drilled mine I inserted a nail in the hole I drilled and stuck a magnet to the end of it. You would not believe how much metal I got out of there. I did the same thing after I tapped it.

Jesse

·
Banned
6,541 Posts
GreenDuramax04 said:
After I drilled mine I inserted a nail in the hole I drilled and stuck a magnet to the end of it. You would not believe how much metal I got out of there. I did the same thing after I tapped it.

Jesse
Good idea. Did you drill it with the engine running and/or grease on the bit?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Sticking a nail with a magnet stuck on the end would scare me to death. My luck the magnet would fall off and stick to the inside of the exhaust manifold forever causing worry that it might break loose and creatively re-form the turbo blades.

Murphy is alive and well.

·
Registered
7,190 Posts
When I did my install I literally started with a very small pilot hole, cutting oil and went up a single bit size each time.

I greased the bit with lithium grease and had the engine running at the same time,

Tapping was a 1/4 turn in and back it out, I had no problems and the install was pretty easy.

I was more worried about a bit breaking.

Good Luck to all that try it,

It's really not that big of a job.

T
NY

·
Banned
6,541 Posts
I drilled twice. Smaller pilot hole about 1/4". Then the proper size tap drill.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I drilled twice also as above.

I used much cutting fluid and did not grease the main bit as the cuttings were blowing out; I did it at idle.

tapping was 1/4 in and out using lotsa cutting fluid. I cleaned the tap numerous times with brake-clean.

Dont use cheap taps!!

It turned out to be very simple, but still nerve racking!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Hoot: I did not have the engine running or use grease.

I actually did not use a nail, I used a 3" drywall screw and stuck a probe magnet on the head if it. But I think a nail would work just as good.

I'm pretty sure I got 99% of the metal shavings that were in the manifold. It was very easy. There is no way the nail or screw can drop inside the manifold, it bottoms out.

Jesse

·
Registered
281 Posts
Just incase I was not clear, I did not put the magnet in the manifold. I just magnatized the drywall screw with the magnet. The magnet was on the head of the screw, the point of the screw is what I inserted in the manifold to pick up the metal shavings.

Jesse

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
The magnet thing is a great idea.
Its no wonder we win wars and have the best weapons with guys like this.

·
Banned
6,541 Posts
GreenDuramax04 said:
Just incase I was not clear, I did not put the magnet in the manifold. I just magnatized the drywall screw with the magnet. The magnet was on the head of the screw, the point of the screw is what I inserted in the manifold to pick up the metal shavings.

Jesse
Was the drywall screw still on the end of the magnet when you pulled it out

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hey thanks for the info guys i will try and get it drilled

1 - 14 of 14 Posts