Diesel Place banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 3500 had the slow speed u-joint squeak on acceleration and braking. Truck is on extended warranty so I took it into the dealer for repairs. Turns out two of the 3 u-joints required replacing. GM replacement cost $240 CDN per u-joint.

I replaced all three of the u-joints on my ’02 while it was still on warranty also. This with no rough off road or mudding miles. Any body else have u-joint issues?

·
Registered
16,609 Posts
There is a lot of torque on a lot of U-joints. I wouldn't expect them to last forever. How many miles?

·
Registered
847 Posts
MaxPower is right lots of torque.My 02 went through 3 in 60,000.My 03 is a 39,000 its been fine.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There is a lot of torque on a lot of U-joints. I wouldn't expect them to last forever. How many miles?
I guess with the heavy loads with some extra torque assistance somethings gotta give.

86,000 km's so about 53,000 miles

Dealer said they had non warranty joints that ran for $100 cdn installed and there was no visual difference between them or the GM warranty ones.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
buy your own and do it yourself and save some money they are not that hard to do

·
Registered
38 Posts
My truck has 60,000 Mi on it and I have never had to replace the U-Joints. Just the tires (5 sets)!
What brand tire are you using to get only 12,000 miles a set? :eek:

·
Registered
16,609 Posts
LOL, I even get more out of my tires then that!

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
I bought mine used w/ 37K mi. Started getting the U-"blues" after about two months. But mine had a brake controller (removed before sale) a Goosenck htich, and an Edge , so the previous guy probably hauled quite a bit.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Any and all!! 2 sets of Dualer A/T Revo's, 1 set of OEM Firestones, 1 set of Kuhmo's and my current set of Runway's (chepest set I could buy and they have lasted the longest so far!) I don't know why they only last that long.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
1 - 11 of 11 Posts