Diesel Place banner

drawbar towing dual jeeps with my 2500.

940 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Diesel Newby 
#1 · (Edited)
hey all, I was just thinking it would sure be easy to get mine and my brothers jeeps to our wheeling destinations in comfort if I were to tow them each in series behind my truck with drawbars. This seems like a better way to tow than buying a two car trailer to tow them with.

I've never seen this done, is there something I'm not thinking about? I know some states don't allow double towing, but I believe Alabama does.

Input appreciated, thanks.

this is what I'm talking about:

http://www.truckspring.com/products/Adjustable-Tow-Bar-kit-with-5-000-lbs-GVW-Capacity__63180.aspx

My jeep tagging behind my truck, and then my bro's jeep tagging behind my jeep. Seems like the first drawbar would have to be rated for the whole train of jeeps (probably 7500lbs).

#2 ·
I think it may be a cheaper way to tow two jeeps compared to loading both onto a trailer but I wouldn't call it a better way. I'd suspect that with two short-wheelbase vehicles like your Jeeps that you will be subject to a fair amount of 'tail wagging' as you tow - especially at highway speeds with either wind or windage caused by passing traffic.

I'm sure that the double tow will work but doubt that the added risk of loosing the Jeeps while towing will make it worth while. I hate tows where you have to keep both eyes on the load to keep it on the road, doesn't leave much left to watch out for what's in front of you.

#3 ·
Your first problem is brakes; ALL states require brakes on the vehicle being towed. Second, my understanding is that most states require the first trailer to be a gooseneck or fiver, so flat towing two wouldn't be allowed. Lastly, I doubt they would track right and as Jaybee said it would most likely wag the heck out of you. When flat towing you are dealing with steer wheels on the front and a trailing axle in the rear, unlike a trailer that has no steer axle. I would have some real concerns that any little sway in the first jeep is going to cause the second jeep to steer in that direction and it get amplify the problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.