Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question, I'm planning on doing the drain and fill one gallon at a time. How many gallons would be sufficient to do this process and have clean fluid in the trans.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Please clarify what you plan on doing: drain 1 gallon, replace one gallon? Drain all via pan, replace same amount drained from pan, etc.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Please clarify what you plan on doing: drain 1 gallon, replace one gallon? Drain all via pan, replace same amount drained from pan, etc.
Sorry I should have been a bit clearer. Yes drain a gallon add a gallon, drive it and repeat.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
The way most people do it is to drain completely and refill, about 7.50-7.75 quarts I think, although many measure what comes out and put that much back in. They then drive somewhere between 5 and 50,000 miles and repeat. After the 2nd time, they consider it "mostly" changed. Some want a more complete replacement and use the "hoot method" (just don't do a powered flush), so you can search for that method (and beware it has the potential to make a mess very quickly).

But if you really want to do 1 gallon at a time (not sure how you drain just 1 gallon, though), then drive a little, then repeat . . . I would say 4 gallons should do a nice job.

Reactions: mp06011999

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The way most people do it is to drain completely and refill, about 7.50-7.75 quarts I think, although many measure what comes out and put that much back in. They then drive somewhere between 5 and 50,000 miles and repeat. After the 2nd time, they consider it "mostly" changed. Some want a more complete replacement and use the "hoot method" (just don't do a powered flush), so you can search for that method (and beware it has the potential to make a mess very quickly).

But if you really want to do 1 gallon at a time (not sure how you drain just 1 gallon, though), then drive a little, then repeat . . . I would say 4 gallons should do a nice job.
Thanks Jake 111.

I was thinking doing 8 gal. Drain a gal. Fill a gal. I have done this before just wanted to run more fluid through. I have the same year truck as you this thing has been great bought new.

·
Registered
50 Posts
i drained and refilled with Mobil tranny fluid. Check with summit they are usually the cheapest. I did not measure what came out just refilled to the bottom hash mark. Drove it a weekend then drained and refilled again. Now I change every 50k.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
I think what you would likely do is to drain what is in the pan, and replace the screw on filter. Then refill with fresh TES-295 fluid. That takes about 7.4 qts of fluid

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Although the OP didn't ask, you guys are right to add the other suggestions of using a TES-295 ATF (I use Mobil Delvac from Summit, too), and being careful not to overfill (near the bottom of hot hash area on the dipstick when warm, like about 170*F). And genuine Allison external spin-on filters, of course.

·
Registered
6,316 Posts
Tom Johnson (guy that wrote the TES-295 spec for the Allison) told me on the phone:
  • Drain the tranny thru the pan drain.
  • Fill with TES-295
  • Drive it for about 100 miles
  • Drain again
  • Fill with TES-295
  • Change spin-on
  • Call it good, you now have enough TES-295 in your tranny
  • Change the spin-on filter in another 12,500-25,000 miles
  • Change the fluid in another 150,000 or so miles
  • Send in your fluids for regular testing
I'm doing all but the testing.

Reactions: OkDually

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Why just one gallon at a time, just drain and refill like mentioned above, waisting time, do it once and get’er done.
One way to make it simple on how much drained out would be using something like this pictured below.
Drive the front up on blocks so it’s higher than the rear, let it set a little which allows fluid to drain back down from the cooler and converter back into the pan.
You should get about another 2-3 quarts depending on how long you let it set.

I have the Allison deep pan which is around 9.5 qts drain and refill, doing this I got out 13 1/2 qts.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts