Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a LMM with dpf delete and no programmer. It is getting horrible mileage...like 8-10mpg, is this due to not having the regen turned off. I see that everyone says that you need to turn it off, but i havent heard what happens if you dont. New to the Duramax since i just sold my 06 cummins on friday.

thanks for any info:)

·
Registered
221 Posts
I have been running my truck with without a dpf and no tune for about 27,000 miles with no problem. When the sensors are unplugged it does not regen.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I have been running my truck with without a dpf and no tune for about 27,000 miles with no problem. When the sensors are unplugged it does not regen.
WOW! and no CEL?

·
Registered
221 Posts
No, I do have a check engine light. Other than that no problems.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mine seems to run fine too, the last owner didnt have any issues with it either. Im just worried now, chad (alligator performance) said that the truck may go into limp mode. I think im gonna order the PPE on monday.

Thanks for you help Chad, look forward to doing business with you.

·
Registered
849 Posts
seems like no one really knows exactly how these trucks work....this is the first i have heard of running a delete with no tune, everyone on here has been sayin it cant be done but obvouisly it can be done, Im guessing with no tune their will be no improvement in economy, but it should have more power with less restriction even so, cowboy56 is it worth doing for those who dont want to have a tune which is now traceable? is there any hp improvement, mpg?????

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I guess you could use a piece of black electrical tape over the CEL :shake:
It drive me crazy looking at that light on! You can be our ginie pig and let us know if it goes into limp or not.

·
Registered
5,117 Posts
seems like no one really knows exactly how these trucks work....this is the first i have heard of running a delete with no tune, everyone on here has been sayin it cant be done but obvouisly it can be done, Im guessing with no tune their will be no improvement in economy, but it should have more power with less restriction even so, cowboy56 is it worth doing for those who dont want to have a tune which is now traceable? is there any hp improvement, mpg?????
That is the first time I have ever heard that. I have several (i.e. dozens) customers that have tried that and got stuck in limp home mode. They did nothing fancy, just removed the DPF and drove. Limp mode has happened as early as 30-40 minutes after installing the pipe, to 2,000 miles, but I have never heard of anyone getting away with it for that long.

·
Registered
5,117 Posts
Mine seems to run fine too, the last owner didnt have any issues with it either. Im just worried now, chad (alligator performance) said that the truck may go into limp mode. I think im gonna order the PPE on monday.

Thanks for you help Chad, look forward to doing business with you.
Nice talking to you too!

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I drove my truck for 3 weeks after getting the ECM update/recall done on my truck with the CEL on, but never a limp mode. Probably about 1000 miles or so, then I reinstalled my Quad after I felt comfortable nothing was messed up after the recall was done. Made me feel comfortable knowing if a limp mode did occur, my Quad was in the console. Chris

·
Registered
221 Posts
I have also been running the banks six gun on my truck for around 20,000 miles. The mileage came up a little after I removed the dpf but it didn't go up like I thought it would. Making sure the sensors are sealed is very important. I have went into limp mode once because i didn't have them taped up. That was a few thousand miles after I took the dpf off. I am buying a quad tuner so that I can shut my check engine light off and have my remote start again but I'm not planning on downloading a tune.

·
Registered
849 Posts
well id like to do it but i wouldnt want to be messing around with limp mode, and when ur talking sensors is it just the ones that tap into the dpf itself or is their more somewhere else? No power imrovement?? These things are suppose to have more than a lbz, just wondering if they both had same exhaust if it would the diff, and urs is a 08 and mine is 09, would that change anything far as being able to do this, diff ecm?

·
Registered
221 Posts
well id like to do it but i wouldnt want to be messing around with limp mode, and when ur talking sensors is it just the ones that tap into the dpf itself or is their more somewhere else? No power imrovement?? These things are suppose to have more than a lbz, just wondering if they both had same exhaust if it would the diff, and urs is a 08 and mine is 09, would that change anything far as being able to do this, diff ecm?

Yeah, there are three sensors that plug into the dpf. If they get water in them they will start to read funny and could put you into limp mode. The fix is simple though because all you have to do is dry them off or clean the corrosion off and tape them up.. The next time you start the truck the limp mode will be gone. The power improvement is hard to tell but I know it didn't hurt it by taking off the exhaust. This truck definitely had way more power than my LLY before I added the six gun. It's hard to feel an extra 20 or 30 horse when you already have 365. I don't see any reason why this wouldn't work the same way on an '09.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Just bought a LMM with dpf delete and no programmer. It is getting horrible mileage...like 8-10mpg
Welcome to the low mileage world of the LMM. I used to ***** about it but I forced myself to learn to accept it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Welcome to the low mileage world of the LMM. I used to ***** about it but I forced myself to learn to accept it.
Yeah it deffinetly sucks, i keep hoping that someone gives me the cure. I was thinking it would be equivelant to my 06 cummins...guess not. im gonna try a PPE.

·
Registered
849 Posts
dmaxin22....that lift and 35''s is the main reason i would bet for poor mileage....mine came new with 245's and it was actually pretty decent on fuel until i put on true 33's, Im not so conerned about mileage but i would like more sounds from my truck and more get up and go

·
Registered
99 Posts
After i deleted the dpf i only made it about 1000 miles until mine went into limp mode i had an edge juice with attitude so i just cleared the code while driving and it temporarily would drive normal

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I drove a few thousand miles before I got my tuner with now problems whats so ever... I just un plugged and capped all the sensors off...

1 - 20 of 41 Posts