Diesel Place banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was towing a load of about 6000lbs last night down Interstate 20 in West & East Texas at about 65mph. I was pulling in OD and no probelms doing such, when I came to a hill the engine would lose speed and rpm, then downshift when it would down shift I would get smoke until it started to pick up speed again. From what I could tell the smoke was white, it was dark so kinda hard to tell. My dad has a 94 1ton 6.5TD and his hasn't done this, and we have towed 10k+ with it. Should I be concerned, is it normal, do I need to fix something?

P.S. -- My first diesel all I have to compare it to is my dads his is a 94 mine a 98.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
should smoke a little bit until rpms are back up and your making boost again. Its very easy to see smoke at night with headlights behind you, hardly noticable during the day though.

·
Banned
127 Posts
:exactly: i wouldnt worry about it, mine does the same thing.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Check over your turbo just for the fun of it...clicky below on faq's.

·
Registered
7,135 Posts
Sounds normal to me, you ought to see mine at night with headlights from the rear of me. It will make those headlights get awfully dim.

·
Registered
7,431 Posts
The wastegate might not have enough vacuum going to it. I'd replace the wastegate solenoid as a preventive maintance part and check vacuum to wastegate. Check airfilter too.

·
Registered
634 Posts
My truck smokes (blue in color) when you first start it when its cold, other than that, I don't see any smoke. Initially, I thought valve seals would be the problem but some local diesel mechanics tell me this is a normal condition with diesels. With that being said, does anyone else have the same condition as me?

Thank you,

Pete.:)

·
Registered
187 Posts
Yep, blue/grey in color when first start up for maybe 5-10 seconds...Am almost positive my glow plugs are original and need replaced.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Hi Dwayne,

Thank you for update. The smoke lasts for about 5 seconds than goes away.

Pete..:)

P.S. How is your back feeling?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Is like a toothache. Throbs and makes me whine alot. Wife is getting fed up with me being a pain in the a&&.....LOL No pun intended!!

·
Registered
13,596 Posts
I was towing a load of about 6000lbs last night down Interstate 20 in West & East Texas at about 65mph. I was pulling in OD and no probelms doing such, when I came to a hill the engine would lose speed and rpm, then downshift when it would down shift I would get smoke until it started to pick up speed again. From what I could tell the smoke was white, it was dark so kinda hard to tell. My dad has a 94 1ton 6.5TD and his hasn't done this, and we have towed 10k+ with it. Should I be concerned, is it normal, do I need to fix something?

P.S. -- My first diesel all I have to compare it to is my dads his is a 94 mine a 98.
Diesel engines are known to smoke once in a while.:exactly:

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
The wastegate might not have enough vacuum going to it. I'd replace the wastegate solenoid as a preventive maintance part and check vacuum to wastegate. Check airfilter too.

:exactly:

uh...what he said...;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts