Diesel Place banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought this would seem fitting... a couple of weeks ago I hauled my buddies boat behind my 5er down to Pueblo. I won't make any Ford jokes, because my buddy owns a 6.0 PSD and a 30 ft 5er and claimed he was too long to haul the boat behind his 5er. I estimate I was around 21,000lbs total between the truck, 5er and boat and right around 71 feet long. What a train!! Got 10.5mpg average going 65-70mph. Not bad at all!! Hopefully the pic shows up...

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
Nice display of the HD's capabilities...

Is that car hooked to the back of the boat?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Hey 4x4man, where abouts in Colorado do you live.? I live in Colorado Springs. Nice rig....so what's like pulling something that long? Did it trail well in turns, or did you have to take them even wider than you would with just the 5er?

Later, John

·
Registered
170 Posts
I would imagine you'd have to plan your fuel stops pretty carefully with a rig that long.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
John-

I live in Aurora, so not too far away... Thanks for the compliments! It really wasn't any worse pulling with the boat on the back of the 5er than without. The only difference was I had to wait longer when passing, both for an openning and for moving back over. My buddy played "spotter" and would let me know when it was safe to move over via 2 way radio's. I couldn't see the boat behind the camper, so I had to make mental visual aids in the mirror when I was told it was safe to move over so I could pass at will. The boat tracks behind the camper very well and I noticed I didn't have to swing any wider so the boat wouldn't hit curbs and such. This is probably due to the fact the back of the 5er swings out pretty far during a turn, so it pushes the front of the boat out for the turn.

While we were stuck in Springs traffic, we joked how a half mile of the traffic was me!!! hehehehehe We had nothing better to do while we were stuck in all that mess....

Not to brag, but I really didn't notice any acceleration difference with the extra 4,000lbs. I did however turn up the prodigy boost for saftey and never once had a problem with braking. Nice and smooth.

We should try to get some type of Colorado get together going...those CT boys have me jealous!!!

Bob

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bowtiebob-

Yes, we did have to plan our fuel stops very carefully. On the first weekend, we found this truck stop (or a make shift one) just before we got back on the highway when we left Pueblo. Nice straight lanes at the pumps and easy access to and from the road. On the second weekend, we went into town the night before and fueled up so I didn't have to play... This was one of those times I wished I wasn't so cheap to spend the $1k for the transfer flow 45 gallon tank. If I do this more often I just might pony up!!!

Bob

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hoot-

Funny you mention that car. I had fears of the boat getting away from us when we were taking the boat out of his garage. He was using a John Deer lawn tractor to bring it out and down the driveway. The slope of his driveway and the weight of the boat was a bit too much for that little thing and he couldn't slow it up!! Little me couldn't slow it down either...no duh, right??! LOL Anyway luckily at the bottom of the driveway we were able to get it back under control before getting close to the car. He now uses his truck to pull the boat out....smart man!! hehehehe

Bob

·
Registered
217 Posts
Yeah, they have me jealous too! I would definately come up to Aurora, or anywhere semi-close for a DMAX get together!

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
here's a couple new trailers I delivered last fall

Edited by: mtomac

·
Registered
170 Posts
4x4, I love to read about this kind of stuff. In the late summer, I haul bins for my dad's apple orchards. A Kenworth with a Super B....dual 32's... Also, when my brother and I are hitting the horse circuit, we pull our 3 horse Logan behind our Monaco Dynasty 40' motorhome. Not quite as long as your setup, but I appreciate how hard it is to mauneuver around. We have had to get out before and move cones so we could fit through areas. On long trips we usually take my dad's 6.5 to serve as a tender and block for the motorhome in traffic. The two ways are great......

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
CS-DMAX-

While I am not very good at organizing things like that, we will have to get something put together. At this point I don't care where it is, just need to do something.. Unfortuantely Eric's get together in October is a bit far to drive... about 1200 miles to Michigan....

You'll have to let me know how the filter install goes. Thinkin' I'm gettin' ready to take the plunge as well.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bowtiebob-

I can't tell you how much the blocker helps to make an openning. Most people think that you are the one holding traffic up and won't let you move over. Oh well... There is always someone that wants to be ahead of you no matter what speed you are doing.. the ones that get on my nerves are the ones that pass and then slow down..

We originally bought the 2 ways to use when backing the rig into a campsite. Funny how we have found more uses for those things.

Not sure how I would feel towing all that length and weight in the mountains though... not for the truck's sake, but my own!! :D

Bob

·
Registered
93 Posts
Great looking combo. I pull a 1994 31 foot Avion Westport with double slides and a 2000 Tahoe Q3 18 ft fish and ski with a Merc 4.3 Vortec. With full water in trailer, full fuel in the boat, and 110 gal aux. diesel tank and tool box combo full, wife 2 kids, one little dog and all our crap, weigh just under 25,000 lbs, and is 71 ft 8 inches long and it pulls like a dream. This is my 2001 and different trailer and boat, but same idea. Will post pics of the new rig when I can find them.

Cheers

BearEdited by: Bearman

·
Registered
987 Posts
Some nice looking rigs ! You CO. guys are sure WELCOME to join us out here in CT for the gettogether. Its a fun time, and hopefully next year we'll do the full weekend schedule.

Hope somebody grabs the ball and plans one for you guys. This Site and NICK are "EVENT FRIENDLY ". Thanks , Terry

·
Registered
138 Posts
Ahhh, hey 4x4Man,

Ain't that like 6 feet too long?

Colorado, New Mexico both have a 65 foot limit.

I won't tell on you if you don't tell on me.
As best I can tell (still working on my hitch) I'll be right at 66 1/2 with my 19 foot Lund behind me.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Gwmayes-

I thought it was 70 feet here in Colorado.. I guess it depends on which website you go to as to which length is legal!! I did have a cop pass me on one of the weekend's we went and didn't seem to think anything of it. I guess if you drive sensibly and don't give them a reason to take out the tape measure you are alright. Regardless, I agree, I won't tell if you don't!!!

I had a custom hitch built into my bumper by a friend of the family who is a certified welder. Looks really slick and the $40 price was killer!! Here is a link to what my hitch setup looks like:

http://www.webphotos.com/list_photos.asp?mi=3&smi=1&a=93738

·
Registered
93 Posts
Ya, it's a tad long
, 65 ft in Alberta, 75 ft in Sask, (not alowed in BC at all, but I snuck it in
) How is the Lund working?? Wost mistake I ever made was selling mine and buying this glass one. Will probably sell it in spring and buy a new Lund.

Cheers

Bear

·
Registered
138 Posts
Bearman,

My Lund is an 18 1/2 foot with a 150 HP Mercury outboard and a 15 HP Mercury Kicker. It was my wife and my neighbors from Minnesota that talked me into getting an aluminum boat. Best decision I ever made. I've owned two fiberglass boats and the bottoms of those just don't hold up, especially on the sharp-edged rocks that completely line our lakes here in the southwest. Lunds are built like a tank!

We're going to head out to Conchas during Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta time (good time to get out of town) and see if we can lay in a few walleye before winter.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts