Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Be sure to check the lube levels in the differentials on new truck deliveries. I asked the dealer to double check the level of fluids in the differentials on my new GMC DM before picking it up. I had read in the forum that some trucks were coming through with low fluid levels. Was assured all was taken care of. After bringing it home and putting in garage to install extras. Electric brake control, Goosneck hitch In bed , 50 gallon fuel tank. ect. I checked the front and rear diff. I could not find any oil on my little finger after inserting into second knuckle. This is as far as my fat finger could reach. The front inspection plug was backed out about 1/4 inch. Not in and snugged up. Needless to say I was very annoyed and had a serious discussion with service manager. They had to add two and one half pints of lube to the differentials. This is after they had assured me that all was checked and declared to be ok. It pays to double check.

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
I strongly 2nd that!

Mine was less then half full. I was really pissed off about that.

Made the dealer pull the cover and inspect. It wont help that the life was probably reduced by being less then half full during break-in.

Total GM BS.......

·
Registered
7,187 Posts
The level is supposed to be I beleive 1/2 " below the fill plug when cold.

I watched the Tech do the PDI on my 2002 as I was in the bay looking over the truck with my salesman and the Tech happens to be a personal friend.

I did not ask and he did not comment.........I trust him.

The problem I beleive is that dealers just want to wash and prep and not do any extra's.

T
NY

·
Registered
197 Posts
On the front, make sure they don't just add a "quart" per the standard GM container as the standard GM container only holds 23 oz, which is 0.7 quarts. To add a full quart, you have to add more than on container

The safest way is to actually check the level!Edited by: tundracamper

·
Registered
408 Posts
Here's A stupid Question....... Do The Covers Have To Come Off To Drain Rear And Front Diffs.

·
Registered
7,187 Posts
RUMAXED said:
Here's A stupid Question....... Do The Covers Have To Come Off To Drain Rear And Front Diffs.

NOPE,

Rear axle on 2500/3500 have a drain plug under the pumpkin, front has a drain plug on the side if the case.

T
NY

·
Registered
408 Posts
gmc-2002-dmax Thanks,

After Reading On This Subject I Was Thinking About Buying Some Grape Juice, Do You Know How Much I Should Buy.

·
Registered
18 Posts
When I picked mine up a week ago, I asked for the PDI checklist and the diff fluids and xfer case were not listed as things to check. I have not been able to get to a level ground yet to check mine, but my oil and tranny were on the nose

Robert

·
Registered
288 Posts
Mine was so low could not touch it through fill plug. But I didnt move it till it was filled. How the hell can GM do this?

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
$29.00 a quart.....

Whoever doesn't catch it, money in the bank. Burn up the rear end, it's your fault for not properly servicing it.....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts