·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When is a DOT number required?

·
Registered
102 Posts
A DOT is requred any time you are hauling commercially. If you are over the non-commercial combined weight of 26,000 then you must have CLEAR proof you are non-commercial i.e. living quarters in your truck or trailer that include a bathroom and kitchen with a minimum square footage that I cannot remember (I think it is 30). Plus the motor unit and trailer should be registered in a personal name, not a company.
Rodeome (been there done that)

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
According to the federal regulations any truck or combination (truck and trailer) with a GVWR over 10,000 LBS. engaged in commerce, crossing state lines needs a DOT number and has to comply with the federal regulations. The big key is whether your truck qualifies for an RV and is it engaged in commerce.

·
Registered
65 Posts
YOu also need a DOT # to fillup at many truckstops, especially states like IN. PIA when you are hauling a 40' trailer and the SOB's want you to pull into the auto pump. NOT gonna happen.

·
Registered
241 Posts
yup, 10,000+ gvwr on truck/trailer. also better have a medical approval card and a log book if going over 150 miles from home. a fuel tax decal may also be considered to.....

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
yup, 10,000+ gvwr on truck/trailer. also better have a medical approval card and a log book if going over 150 miles from home. a fuel tax decal may also be considered to.....
Fuel tax is only over 26,000. Log and medical needed if commercial, not rv. The real grey area is the guys pulling race and horse trailer, if you win and prize money you can then be considered commercial.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Again..I received a ticket in AZ for driving without a licence driving a 17,500 GVW Ford F550 and pulling a 18,000 GVW Living quarter trailer. The way to avoid:
1. Do not register with commercial plates..put in personal name. Put "not for hire" on vehicle.
2. Non-commercial A license does not require medical, DOT or scales. Get one while the DMV is still stupid about the process.
3.CA has a Dept of Health and Safety code that exempts ANY living qtr from commercial reqs. (section 18010).
4. Other states will recognize laws of state you are licensed in but carry a copy of code with you as it only takes one hotshot, jealous cop to ruin a good time.
And remember, it is only a matter of time before the powers that be recognize all the monies to be made on ticketing all us baby boomers out there driving rigs with the wrong license.
Rodeo Me

·
Registered
228 Posts
so hauling cars for the auction, being the owner of the truck and the business, and staying in state will this make me have to get a dot number.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
1. Do not register with commercial plates..put in personal name. Put "not for hire" on vehicle.
No-go in California. Anything with a hauling type bed is considered "commercial" for registration and fee purposes. This was the thing that pushed the SUV market.... back in '74 when my dad bought his K5, the DMV rep explained that he could register the truck as a "station wagon" (normal "SAM 123" plates) as long as the back seat was left in place. If he removed the back seat to, say haul a water heater to the dump, he could be ticketed by a cop in a bad mood.
The SUV gave Californians a way to have their station wagon AND pickup truck and only pay $45/year for tags.
so hauling cars for the auction, being the owner of the truck and the business, and staying in state will this make me have to get a dot number.
Absolutely. If you were hauling your personal hobby car collection around (say from your workshop/home to your hangar) you'd be okay... but it would be pretty tough to get away with trying to claim that as, #1, you would have to have title to all of the cars on your rig, and #2, not too many people "collect" a mixture of makes/models that are in the condition that cars going to auction usually are.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Since any police officer can do a roadside inspect and interpret the rules the way they think :

The way the DOT guys explained it to me, Yep. Over 10, 000 GVWR , state DOT registration (any chance of ever going out of state, then USDOT), medical card and since you're hauling cars a $300.00 motor carrier stamp, fire extinguisher and break down markers (flares, sticks, etc.). Drivers license may or may not need CDL.

The way those guys explained it to me, it's cheaper to go "overboard legal" than try to explain it to the judge. I kinda have to agree with them.

·
Registered
272 Posts
In all cases when crossing state lines, commercial operators with a GVWR over 10,000 lbs need a DOT number. Not all, but some states also require the number even if you remain in your state, just gotta look it up to be sure. Also, if your state issues a Class D driver's license, you would be wise to get one. This allows you to operate all commercial vehicles that fall below the minuminum 26,001 lbs weight where a CDL would be required, and out of state LEOs would recognize this license.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I will be hauling a living quarter horse trailer with a 4500. Trailer weight loaded will be around 17k, with the weight of the truck I'm guessing I will be either over or very close to the 26k limit. I plan to go ahead and get the CDL, minus the air brakes section. I will be going over state lines and hauling other peoples horses. So do I need a DOT number and what is the deal on the medical cards? What else is needed or not needed??

·
Registered
65 Posts
To get the CDL you will need to have a complete physical done. The doctor you get your physical from will fill out a piece of paper that you need to carry with you at all times. If you are ever stopped and don't have it they will not let you go anywhere until you get proof of it.

·
Registered
215 Posts
You do not need to have the physical to get your CDL. You have to have a DOT medical card in order to be in compliance with federal regulations. If you are transporting horses for profit, then you will need a DOT number. If you are crossing state lines you will also need to apply for operating authority from the Federal Motor Carrier Services. In order to get this approved you wil need at least $750,000 in commercial liability insurance and depending on whether you are a contract or common carrier you will need a filing on cargo insurance. There is a lot more involved. You will need to check with the states you are traveling to and your base state to find out what their particulars are.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Check with your DMV regarding the physical before the CDL; in my state you must present the physician's 'long form' of your physical before anything can begin. Get the physical form from them if they have them. Good idea to go there first and get your study guides for the written test(s) anyway, and defintely study ahead of time. The DMV can possibly also give you a list of doctors who will bo the physical, if not just call some doctors in the phone book for one who can do the 'DOT Physical'.

kankrom, you will be basically be a motor carrier and all the rules and regulations that apply to the big rigs will apply to you. You will need the DOT number, as well as Operating Authority. The DOT number is free, but the Authority will cost $300. You can get both online here.

https://li-public.fmcsa.dot.gov/LIVIEW/PKG_REGISTRATION.prc_option

Here is a general FAQ page that answers most questions.

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/about/other/faq/faqs.asp

You may also want to look into an apportioned license plate for the truck, as some states that you may go to require this. Your truck will need to be marked on both sides with the carrier name (you or your company), USDOT number, MC Number (authority) and base city and state. The minimum insurance requirement is for $750,000. You will need to run a logbook anytime you are more than 100 air miles from your base city. You will need an inspection book and must record the defects on the vehicle(s) at the beginning and end of each day. Inside the truck you must carry 3 triangle reflectors and a fire extinguisher with a rating of 5BC or higher.

Lot of stuff to do, but really no way around it.

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
Thanks for the link work truck! I had to get #'s . Same day I got them I got stoped At Throgs Neck Bridge in NY they kept me there for 2hrs. inspecting truck and trailer. I didnt have # on truck yet, so they didnt believe me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks everyone for all the great advice!! O.K first order of business the commercial insurance.... First quoto I got was through progressive for over 5k a year. That was for the truck and trailer, 750k liability, physical damage, collision etc.. For truck only it was $3849. Do these numbers sound about right or is there a better deal somewhere else??

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Always shop around.
I've got a clean record, but because of my high mileage (technically commercial, but not HAULING, the truck is a way to get TO the job) my non-commercial coverage for the '06 DA and '04 Rav4 is nearly $4k/year (California) with AAA.
Progressive and Gieco both quoted $2500 for each 6 months.

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
Thanks everyone for all the great advice!! O.K first order of business the commercial insurance.... First quoto I got was through progressive for over 5k a year. That was for the truck and trailer, 750k liability, physical damage, collision etc.. For truck only it was $3849. Do these numbers sound about right or is there a better deal somewhere else??
Check with BBT/Pruden in Dalton. They are a Progressive and Sentry agent. if you have good credit and clean driving record, they usually drop a few hundred off the rate. I saved about 1K after they ran my credit and i am paying 2400 a year though Progressive. This is for a 2000 International 4900.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Here In California after two tickets,, I had to apply with the CHP for a CA# then go to the DMV and get a Motor carrier permit. Just another stinkin fee. The DMV knew nothing on CA numbers and the CHP knew nothing on motor carrier permits. AND it doesnt matter if you haul for hire or not. Sorry guys but these trucks no longer slip between the cracks. The guy said that I need to paint my name on the side of my truck also. MORE MONEY-:t
After about the third time I was pulled over I finally asked the CHP "What the hell does a CA number tell you when you see it anyway" Took him a minute and all he could tell me was that it shows you carry insurance for the type of work you do..... SOOOO WHAT. I have auto insurance to take it down the road. Who cares If I work out of it or NOT.
ONE MORE THING... once my insurance company noticed I needed to carry a motor carrier permit my rated doubled and I needed to carry 3 million dollar policy. My truck has a utility body in which I use to repair my own equipment and other customers ag equipment. THATS IT... Whats next

1 - 20 of 22 Posts