Diesel Place banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had a problem with Dorman's high pressure feed lines? I installed them about 3 years ago on my LB7 as part of an injector job and was pleased with the price and quality. I always use a 19mm flare nut crow's foot to torque them properly. Yesterday while driving, had a strong fuel smell when I came to a stop sign. Hoping it was the Ford in front of me, I continued home. When I pulled into the neighborhood, I could smell diesel again so I knew I had a problem. Never had a power issue but when I finally got parked the driver's side was drenched in diesel as well as the whole underside and a trail of fuel up the driveway. Popped the hood and whole driver side of engine was soaked. Had this issue with my LML before and it turned out to be a burst rubber return line that was made worse by the FASS system (FASS did not cause this but return line was pressurized by FASS). Thinking I had the same issue on the LB7 I turned the key on so that the FASS would run but could find no leaks under the hood. I cranked the engine and fuel began gushing from #6 High Pressure line at the connection to the injector. I removed the line and couldn't find any issue with the sealing faces on either the line or injector. Reinstalled the line and torqued to 30 lb-ft. Started engine again and same leak. Torqued the nut to 35 lb-ft. this time and no change. I figured the issue was either with the line or injector had cracked. Hooked the line up to a chinese/indian injector pop tester and torqued an old injector to the other end of the line so I could pressurize the line. Sure enough, still leaking. There's no way to tell without cutting the line and removing the nut, but there must be a crack. Got a new line today and torqued it to 30 lb-ft. and no issues. Will see how good the Dorman "Limited lifetime" warranty is.

P.S. Hats off to AutoZone, ordered online around 9 p.m. last night and FedEx delivered it shortly after 11 a.m. today. Other parts stores couldn't get it until Tuesday.

·
Administrator
17,026 Posts
That's kind of an oddball failure. I would chalk it up to some defect material finally letting go.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's kind of an oddball failure. I would chalk it up to some defect material finally letting go.
I agree and I hope we're right. I'm thankful it was an easily accessible line and I was close to home.

Reactions: OkDually
1 - 3 of 3 Posts