Diesel Place banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried this aftermarket DEF tank heater? Dorman part# 904-374. I pretty much always have the P21DD code, and intermittent CEL. Seems nu rhyme or reason as to when the CEL will come on. Not always on the coldest days. 2013 LML with custom tune. Would rather deal with this issue myself. Thanks.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Just making sure you are aware of the extended warranty on this part. It's 120K miles and 10 years.

Just checked and found it's listed for 2011 & 2012 years. I'd still check with GM unless you're past 120K miles.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm aware. I'd rather spend $200 on parts and fix it myself than let the local dealer let it sit in their lot and get beat and scratched up waiting for repairs.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I understand completely and do the same most times. My dealer had parts in stock and did it in a day. Also, I think it takes a Tech2 to complete the repair.

Reactions: navybuff

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well that sucks. Why sell the parts aftermarket if you still have to take it to a dealer to complete the repair?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm seeing scanners called GM Tech2 diagnostic scanners for less than $300. Would that be the needed tool, or are you referring to something else. I already have a rather expensive Actron OBDII scanner, but it will not allow me to delete the P21DD code, which it labels as "Permanent". Thanks.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
I'm aware. I'd rather spend $200 on parts and fix it myself than let the local dealer let it sit in their lot and get beat and scratched up waiting for repairs.
GM Part :23379348 RESERVOIR KIT, Evaporation Emission System(Fuel Tank End)
RESERVOIR KIT,EMISSION REDUCTION FLUID TANK(INCLUDES 3,4,13-16)(INCLUDES TEMPERATURE SENSOR & HEATER) $174.00

How much is the Dorman part# 904-374

·
Registered
372 Posts
Has anyone tried this aftermarket DEF tank heater? Dorman part# 904-374. I pretty much always have the P21DD code, and intermittent CEL. Seems nu rhyme or reason as to when the CEL will come on. Not always on the coldest days. 2013 LML with custom tune. Would rather deal with this issue myself. Thanks.
Why do you have a working DEF system with a custom tune? Full emissions tune? I've tuned several trucks with Kennedy diesels "limited emissions" tune and it eliminates the DEF system and EGR and associated check engine lights without unplugging anything or modifying exhaust. Runs clean with less regens.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Why do you have a working DEF system with a custom tune? Full emissions tune? I've tuned several trucks with Kennedy diesels "limited emissions" tune and it eliminates the DEF system and EGR and associated check engine lights without unplugging anything or modifying exhaust. Runs clean with less regens.
That I can't answer. Its a mild performance tune he wrote for me mainly to address a dead pedal issue my truck had. Works great. All emissions systems are functional. Do not the best of my knowledge have a tune named "limited emissions" or one which does that.

·
Registered
12,740 Posts

so the dealer just and beats up and scratchs your truck?

because why?,
they don't want you as a customer?
ive worked at new car dealers for 25+ years,and haven't seen anything like this done

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
so the dealer just and beats up and scratchs your truck?

because why?,
they don't want you as a customer?
ive worked at new car dealers for 25+ years,and haven't seen anything like this done

Yeah happens most times I have put it in the shop. City dealerships have such small lots that they cram the vehicles so closely together you can't even walk between the cars.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
GM Part :23379348 RESERVOIR KIT, Evaporation Emission System(Fuel Tank End)
RESERVOIR KIT,EMISSION REDUCTION FLUID TANK(INCLUDES 3,4,13-16)(INCLUDES TEMPERATURE SENSOR & HEATER) $174.00

How much is the Dorman part# 904-374
Over $200, but can't find one online. Also some refurbished units out there for more than that, but again nobody seems to have one.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Over $200, but can't find one online. Also some refurbished units out there for more than that, but again nobody seems to have one.
To answer your first question I Googled "Duramax Dorman part# 904-374" and nobody on the 4 Main duramax diesel sites have used one.
So if you do find one you'll be the first to have any info on them.
You might have to buy an OEM one then.
There's over 300,000 OEM ones availabile.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
To answer your first question I Googled "Duramax Dorman part# 904-374" and nobody on the 4 Main duramax diesel sites have used one.
So if you do find one you'll be the first to have any info on them.
You might have to buy an OEM one then.
There's over 300,000 OEM ones availabile.
Wanted to avoid OEM, since they are ones which are failing. Thought maybe someone else could get it right. Thinking about just doing a full emmissions delete at this point.

·
Registered
51 Posts
What is the Kennedy Diesel limited emissions tune?
Do I have to have a programmer and buy his tune?

I don't see the price on his website. Can someone PM the expected price?

Thanks

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

I don't see the price on his website. Can someone PM the expected price?

Thanks

You will need to call him and talk with him about what kind of a tune you want. He loads tunes on an Autocal/EFI Live device and you can upload tunes from there.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I don't see the price on his website. Can someone PM the expected price.
I'm pretty sure John keeps emissions intact. His tuning is cleaner reducing soot load with less regen.
Don't see a LML in your signature but I take it you have one since your asking in Fifth Generation.

You must of missed his LML pricing.
https://www.kennedydiesel.com/categoryresults2.cfm?Category=17&SubCategory=204

·
Registered
51 Posts
Thanks...It looks like the Cab and Chassis 6.6 in 2011 is still something that is being figured out.

A local shop said they could delete everything, exhaust work, and custom tune for a very good price. They said they use a company Tunes based in Lousiana.

How different can these tunes be across different companies? I have talked to a few people and none of them come across as software developers or people that understand code or coding. If this is true then I assume that they are using a GUI to select/deselect different features. There must be some level of encryption that keeps each company tune slightly different but they really can't be that much different and still work.

Is there software or an application available that will let a user create a custom tune or a opensource set of tunes that these companies start with to create there own? I have several of the same truck (6 2011-2013 Shuttle Buses) and would not mind using one as a guinea pig while I figure everything out. Ideally, I want the same basic tune for each truck.

Please point me in the right direction.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just had my 15' Silverado 3500HD in for the P21DD code. They replaced the DEF system, couldn't do it rieght then and gave me a rental.

I wasn't happy about that but he advised me that if I took it and waited on the parts to come in and something happend to the DEF system that trashed it then warranty would not cover it. Could be upwards to $3000. I wasn't willing to take that chance.

My truck was there 9 days and totally covered by GM. It was not scratched or anything. I've never had a dealership that didn't protect my vehicle when in they're shop. If they didn't I'd raise hell and never go back.

Just a note, I did not buy my truck new and not even at that dealership. It was from a out of state Hyundai dealership that couldn't get rid of it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts