Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya, I have a 1990 k2500 6.2 diesel and I'v been told the drive train was custom ordered when the truck was new. It has served mainly as a woods truck for bringing home fire wood. The tranny is a manual with L 1 2 3 R. I've been told this transmission puts the truck GVWR up 8700 pounds and this can almost be seen on the door sticker but it is super faded. I live in DEQ compliance area and the compliance cut off is 8600 GVWR.
So after all that, does anyone know if there is a way to get a new sticker that reflects the actual GVWR?

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
Run the vin at the dealer would probably do it. That I am aware of the 3/4 ton trucks only ran up to 8600 GVW.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I know for a fact under 8600 gvw SOME not all 3/4 Tons came with the 700r4s... But above that was all TH400s up to 8900. I don't think it was a Custom order the 6.2L diesel was still available even in the 88-91 K5s, Suburbans & 3+3 Crew Cabs until 91 when they totally discontinued the C/K Square bodies, And Continued the 88-98 OBS which the 6.2L was used until 1993 In those. (1992-93 6.5L was Mechanical Injection pump) 1994+ Was Electronical.

I do know a guy on my 6.2/6.5L Diesel group on FB Found Production numbers for the 88-91 Square body vehicles with 6.2 diesels and not surprising they where VERY LOW Production. I'll have to find it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses. The Original owner has stated he ordered this truck speciically to have this tranny. I'm the third owner and the last was my son in law. The original owner was his uncle. Looking up transmissions I found a reference for MUNCIE SM465 that fits my description. I went out and looked at the sticker again and it does say ( barely readable) 8600. The code on the Vin rates it at 8001 -9000. The lore is that it had somethign special ordered and axel wise or spring wise or some thing that made it exemt to the local DEQ requirements. I'll do more reseserch that way, like asking the uncle instead of getting the info second hand. It runs great and is woods truck that is a bit beat up. I suppose GM / Chevy has a site taht you can look up your VIN to see what options you could / were orderd based on the VIN.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts