Diesel Place banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '03 Allison has an external 'C' shaped magnet on the drivers side of the oil pan. No clip or anything, its just stuck on the side of the pan. I've owned the truck since new, so I'm assuming it came from the factory that way. Do others have this magnet?

·
Registered
909 Posts
I think someone drove a hockey puck into your tranny pan. Better have that thing looked at.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
A refigerator magnet escape'ie ??

Mac

Just so you know if you didn't there is a flat square magnet in the bottom of the Allison pan ... Edited by: Mackin

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks like some guys musta been having some fun when it was put together. Its a pretty strong magnet and has probably caught a few shavings in the pan by now (9500 miles). Guess I'll leave it there...

·
Registered
145 Posts
Yeah.............. don't move it unless you're taking the pan off, you wouldn't want to free up a bunch of metal debris all at once.....

Just my .02 Fran

·
Registered
6,066 Posts
it would be intersting to see what was stuck to the inside of the pan, if anything since its been on since new. if you ever pull the pan take a picture

Something tells me you shouldn't see much. when i replaced my pan i didn't see anything. granted it could be in either filter too...

yet again i guess you could stick a spare key to it....

I must admit when i first saw it i thought of filtermag...

Nick

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the replies on this. Looks like I have a 'one off' factory mod. I'm now thinking I'll remove it. There should not be much, if any anything stuck in the pan. If there is, and it creates a problem, I'd rather have it happen while under warrenty.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Number 6 in the first picture and number 75 in the second picture are the only magenets in the allison trans from the MAX.

theses photos are from GM electronic service information system

1 - 16 of 16 Posts