Diesel Place banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

96ish 6.5l on a chevy 3500HD, engine has been swapped at some point (truck is a '94 but engine appears to be from '96).

Just want to make sure the sound I'm hearing is ok or if it's something I need to be worried about, there is a ticking sound and what almost sounds like a knock or clatter, but I'm not sure. This is my first diesel and I've not been around them much so I don't have much experience with what sounds I need to worry about or ignore.

While I was in the area I noticed that the power steering pump has a wobble, is it enough to worry about or will that be ok for now?

Thank you for your time.

·
Administrator
20,274 Posts
Remove the serp belt and briefly run the engine at idle. Is the sound still there?
If not, I would test your vacuum pump.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
No, that's not a normal sound... how many miles ya think the motor has on it ??

Has a lifter tap sound and the sound varies some, could be the motor has many miles on it and the valve train is worn ... is the taps worse on the road ??

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, that's not a normal sound... how many miles ya think the motor has on it ??

Has a lifter tap sound and the sound varies some, could be the motor has many miles on it and the valve train is worn ... is the taps worse on the road ??
On the road the sound kinda disappears in the general noise.

I have no idea how many miles on the motor itself, the truck has 160k on it but as it's been swapped out (I'm guessing by first owner, second didn't mention it) so I have no idea.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Looks like you put newer return lines on the injectors… are they new?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks like you put newer return lines on the injectors… are they new?
New injectors, glow plugs, and left side exhaust manifold, with new gaskets all around, new dampener, plus some ground cables (ground straps fell apart while working on things).

I still have a fuel leak from the #5 injector line (I'm hoping it's just some dirt), and the crossover pipe got jiggled a bit and leaks coolant. I haven't had a chance to seriously look at it (other projects at higher priority).

It ran terrible when I got it, and it still isn't great. From what diagnostics I've done I think the injector pump is on it's last legs, the throttle peddle is throwing codes, and I have no idea of the quality of the PMD relocation or of the PMD installed.

I'm actually considering a manual conversion, I have enough computer controlled stuff in my life and it seems like the electronic systems on this engine weren't the most reliable (always keep a spare PMD? really? even after relocation?). I'm finding used manual pumps, both for the 6.2 and the 6.5 (other manual conversions where other parts of the engine died), and other items, so I'm gathering parts right now.

I just want to figure out if it's still worth the investment.

·
Administrator
20,274 Posts
New injectors, glow plugs, and left side exhaust manifold, with new gaskets all around, new dampener, plus some ground cables (ground straps fell apart while working on things).

I still have a fuel leak from the #5 injector line (I'm hoping it's just some dirt), and the crossover pipe got jiggled a bit and leaks coolant. I haven't had a chance to seriously look at it (other projects at higher priority).

It ran terrible when I got it, and it still isn't great. From what diagnostics I've done I think the injector pump is on it's last legs, the throttle peddle is throwing codes, and I have no idea of the quality of the PMD relocation or of the PMD installed.

I'm actually considering a manual conversion, I have enough computer controlled stuff in my life and it seems like the electronic systems on this engine weren't the most reliable (always keep a spare PMD? really? even after relocation?). I'm finding used manual pumps, both for the 6.2 and the 6.5 (other manual conversions where other parts of the engine died), and other items, so I'm gathering parts right now.

Was it making this same noise before the injectors and other parts were installed?

·
Registered
103 Posts

LOL I went down this same rabbit hole. From what I have gathered that noise can be due to air still in your lines. Takes a bit of driving to get em all out.
Leaking injector hard line? If so that’ll allow air in and make a noise similar to what you have.
Mine also tossed that pedal code.
After all the work on mine I can’t get the speedo to read.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
From what I have gathered that noise can be due to air still in your lines. Takes a bit of driving to get em all out.
Leaking injector hard line? If so that’ll allow air in and make a noise similar to what you have.
Hmm... I haven't given it a serious drive because of the fuel and water leaks, and I haven't fixed them because of other priorities. As soon as I get those sussed out I'll give it a good long drive and see if that fixes the noise.

On the off chance clearing out the air from the lines doesn't fix the noise, what would be the next thing for me to look at?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts