Diesel Place banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at Advanced Auto Parts the other day and they had some 5w40 Synthetic and I was wondering could I run the 5w40 or do they make the 15w40 in synthetic?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
No, they do not make a synthetic 15w-40. They do make a semi-syn 10w-40, but good luck trying to find it.

Yes, you can run the synthetic 5w-40 with no worries. Very proven group III product with excellent track record, and a great buy on the performance/dollar ratio. IF you use it long enough ...

·
Registered
275 Posts
rotella

I Found Rotella Syn @ Menards 18$ A Gallon 15-40:)

·
Registered
200 Posts
Last night at the Sam's Club here in SoCal they had Rotella 15w40 for $31 for 3/1g bottles..Delo400 for $29 for 3/1g bottles..and Mobil 1300 for $38 for 4/1g bottles...not sure what the prices per case might be in your area..just throwing it out there...

·
Registered
4,032 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
yes thats the one in the blue jug.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Shell Rotella T6 is a full synthetic oil rated at 5W-40 which has only been available for a very few months. I will be switching to this new oil as soon as I have used up my remaing stock of Amsoil DEO.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I just saw the 5W-40 synthetic at Wal-Mart this morning. It was under $20 gallon. They also had the regular Rotella 15w-40 in a 2.5 gallon jug for $25 and change.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I ran the blue jugs before and was not happy with it. Triggered the oil change message at 7000 miles. Mobil one never triggers at 7000 miles. The engine sounded louder during those miles. Ask around for opinions.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I ran the blue jugs before and was not happy with it. Triggered the oil change message at 7000 miles. Mobil one never triggers at 7000 miles. The engine sounded louder during those miles. Ask around for opinions.
The oil life indicator has no idea what kind of oil you are using. It doesn't feel, taste, or smell the oil. It bases your oil life on your driving style, and how hard or easy you were on the engine over the miles and hours of use since your last oil change.

·
Registered
886 Posts
The oil life moniter looks at different parameters of usage to determine when to turn the light/message on. Type of oil has nothing to do with it.

·
Registered
2001 Chevy Suburban LBZ 4x4
35 Posts
Old post but shell rotella t6 15w40 full synthetic is now starting to show up in walmart for $22 a gallon.

·
Registered
6,290 Posts
A few years ago Pep Boys was clearancing out some Royal Purple 15-40 syn. I also now see Walmart is selling their store brand 15-40 syn.

I don't drive enough anymore to set off the oil minder. Now I just gotta go by time or it'll be years before a change.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
15/40 Synthetic

I buy it in 2.5 gallon jugs all the time ? this post is 5000years old LOL

Attachments

·
Registered
2001 Chevy Suburban LBZ 4x4
35 Posts
Where I've only seen it in individual gallons. I've seen t4 and t6 5w40 in 2.5 gal only.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts