Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am picking up a new LLY on Friday. I do of course realize that the dmax is considerably quieter than the old diesels. However, the wife & kids are complaining about the additonal noise (as compared to the gasser), especially while accelerating. At highway speeds the noise in not very noticable. I sold the family on the dmax option stating they would barely notice that it is a diesel.
The wife did agree that the dmax was much quieter than the 2001 Ford diesel that is owned by a neigbor down the street, which sounds like is in my driveway every time he starts it!

Will the dmax sound levels change at all after a few thousand miles, or does it stay consistant with the noise levels when new?

·
Registered
389 Posts
it stays the same. i have 31,000 and it is the same as the day i bought it.

john

02 3500 cc lb 4x4 lt

·
Registered
310 Posts
Several things can help.

Climb underneath and look at the bottom of the engine - not the oil pan. When I bought my '02, it had sound absorption material covering it, looked like a very thick tar. When they replaced my engine, the new one was quite a bit louder than my old engine and upon investigation, I found it didn't have this material on it.

Every yr, all of the mfrs cut back a bit more, this particular $1 worth of material makes a big difference in noise. There is also a good possibility that there is significantly less sound dampening in the firewall area, for the same reason, cost cutting and profit margin.

Oddly enough, I have seen 2 different power adders significantly lower engine noise under all conditions (especially WOT). The Edge Juice and TTS programmed ECM. Just a nice side benefit to go along with the added power.

"Honey, the guys told me I gotta buy this box for the engine that'll really quiet it down. It's the only way..."

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
"Honey, the guys told me I gotta buy this box for the engine that'll really quiet it down. It's the only way..."

I like the way you think!

The chevy I drove home does seem louder than the GMC's I have driven. Maybe I am just imagining things...Edited by: sammy

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Take her for a drive in your neighbors 7.3 I guarantee she won't complain about your duramax again.

·
Registered
909 Posts
To me they seem rougher at idle and smoother at cruising. Maybe invest in a nice stereo system.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Also as SoCal mentioned, you can add sound deadening materials to strategic locations in the vehicle. Some of the old Powerstrokers were adding sound deadening materials to floorboard and firewalls, but I haven't heard many Dmaxers do so.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have a 2002 GMC and the dealer told me that GMC had more insulation then Chevy but I think that was sales talk. Howerer I did take a 2004 GMC for a ride and My wife & I both feel it is a little quiter than my 2002. Could there be a difference between the SLE & the SLT on GMC and the LS & LT on the Chevy in the amount they spend on insulation?

·
Registered
958 Posts
Diesels do get smoother/quieter when they're getting long in the tooth but I doubt you want to wait for half a million miles.

·
Registered
772 Posts
If the one you drove was not fully warmed up it will have been much louder than when it gets up to operating temperature. It's still going to grumble like a diesel, but it won't clatter so much. Over the road, except under heavy load you'll hardly be able to hear it. My wife's Odyssey thunders and drums like a big, empty barrel over the road. It's a lot louder than my D'max. I want ear plugs in that thing.

TC

1 - 10 of 10 Posts