Diesel Place banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My power steering won't allow me to turn my tires all the way to the left nor right if I'm sitting at dead stop, i.e. trying to back up a trailer around corners is tough because I have to me moving for my wheels to turn.....is it just me???

Thanks Guys!

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
maybe you need smaller tires. Mine turns just fine.

Jim

·
Banned
449 Posts
305's are def pretty big, you have to do some trimming to fenders to get the 285's not to rub.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have problems even moving the steering wheel sometimes when i'm stopped. Kind of a pain in the butt but my z71 had the same type problems.

·
Banned
449 Posts
Trying to move the steering wheel while the front tires are not moving is asking a lot of your steering pump. Remember there is a lot of weight over the front end. Turning the wheels while motionless puts a lot of strain on the steering system.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I've got 315/75R16 tires on with GM steering stabalizer installed and tires turn just fine at a stop.

I'm thinking possibly a few splines in power steering pump starting to go. Had this problem on 97 GM pickup and was PS pump going.

Just my two cents

·
Registered
386 Posts
I have same prob. I noticed it isn't so much when your stopped, but when your stopped with your foot on the brake. If you take the foot off the brake pedal, it will get easier. I also noticed this to a lesser degree on my 2k z71

Bill

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Mine also does this. Sometimes it turns just fine and then other times it's like my front tires run into a brick wall

Only when i'm stopped though.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Check the Hydroboost, it powers the brakes and steering pump.

I remember another thread about this a while ago, sorry I don't recall the fix...but something about it not being strong enuf to do both at a slow idle. Try increasing RPM slightly with your foot on the brake and turn the wheel.

But like posted above, those big meats don't slide very easily, and we all know how wimpy the tie-rods are! Better to roll a little if possible.

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
It is completly normal. Some are worse then others, and tires, air pressure, suface, and load all have an effect on it.

I have noticed this on every truck I have ever owned. Some are worse then others, but at some point they all do it.

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
I have have this issue once or twice I do what *Dave Ski* said.

>

Try increasing RPM slightly with your foot on the brake and turn the wheel.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts