Diesel Place banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some advice. I was at the Firestone dealer and he offered me an oil change for $47.89. That included the oil 15-40W and filter. That seemed low to me, but is that oil any good?

·
Registered
38 Posts
If its one of their diesel oils such as Super D3, SHP or DXA I would use it. I've had quite a few gaser engines with high mileage that were driven hard (muscle cars driven like muscle cars) apart and they were very clean with very little wear, can't say that about alot engines that used other brands of "quality oils" that I've been into, I'm sure thier diesel oils are the same quality, of course that is JMHO and personal experience. So thats my $.02 worth.
:beerchug:

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Don't know if they still do but the local Cigarette dealer used to swear by Kendall oil and used it in offshore engines costing $30k including the engines in their own race boat.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I was (retired jan. 04) a fleet mechanic / foreman for Niagra Mohawk / National Grid power company. We used Kendall 15w40 in all our trucks both gas and diesel. With over 1000 pieces of equipment in our area alone including backhoes, dozers, trenchers, etc. we did not experienced any engine failures in over 20 yrs that we used Kendall. We did have a good PM program that included oil and filter changes at 3000 miles plus oil analysis every 12 months. The mechanics in the shop including myself used Kendall oil in our own personal vehicles as well.................George H

·
Registered
976 Posts
Kendall isn't the same oil it was. It has been passed around between owning companies like a hot potato and the quality has been affected.

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
Check to see if its certified (stamp) from their website

·
Registered
976 Posts
George H;1632220; said:
I was (retired jan. 04) a fleet mechanic / foreman for Niagra Mohawk / National Grid power company. We used Kendall 15w40 in all our trucks both gas and diesel. With over 1000 pieces of equipment in our area alone including backhoes, dozers, trenchers, etc. we did not experienced any engine failures in over 20 yrs that we used Kendall. We did have a good PM program that included oil and filter changes at 3000 miles plus oil analysis every 12 months. The mechanics in the shop including myself used Kendall oil in our own personal vehicles as well.................George H
No doubt it has been a good oil in the past. Since the changes, they can't hang with the newer oils that have evolved. The additives tend to "Fall Out" reducing the life expectancy of the oil. At a 3,000 mile oil change no problem, but trucks running 20,000 it will be a problem.

·
Registered
490 Posts
My buddy has run Kendall 15w40 in all his trucks/tractors/semi's as long as I have know him, no problems yet. I run Rotella, but thats because I don't get my oil in 55 gallon drums like he does I just get the 2.5 gallon jug at TSC for $26.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts