Diesel Place banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody pulling 12,000lbs with the 48re auto? If so how does it work? Can you pull in overdrive? Just about an inch from ordering a new 2004.5 Dodge 3500 w/cummins600 and really want the automatic.Help me guys.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
The only automatic I would buy from todays choices is the Dmax alli combo. I have had 2 Dodges with the 47re and find their shift patterns obnoxious especially when it goes into overdrive. Towing was not recommended with the 47re (my loads were 14000). I did beef up the 99 dodge I had with BD stuff and towed the crap in overdrive after that with no problems. From what I hear, the 48re is a beefed up version of the 47re with the same shift pattern.

Now in manual 6 speed tranny I would buy the cummins no questions asked but would avoid the cummins when attached to their automatic. I have an '01 HO 6 speed and love it.

Bottom line is that the alli for towing is hard to beat.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Mine is a 6 speed, but my dad's 04 is an AT HO. He has towed up to 10,000 lbs and it is a winner. His pulls in OD. I don't think any one can make a comparison to the 47re. The new AT is a lot better. I owned a 94 and 99 CTD Ram both with an AT and it was the week link. Although I like my 6 speed, I wouldn't hesitate to get an AT.

·
Registered
134 Posts
MABurns said:
Mine is a 6 speed, but my dad's 04 is an AT HO. He has towed up to 10,000 lbs and it is a winner. His pulls in OD. I don't think any one can make a comparison to the 47re. The new AT is a lot better. I owned a 94 and 99 CTD Ram both with an AT and it was the week link. Although I like my 6 speed, I wouldn't hesitate to get an AT.

The dodge A.T. has always been a problem and always will be, as long as the keep using the torqueflight. They just keep coming up with patches and band-aids for a transmission that wasn't designed to be put in a diesel application. Do hesitate to get their A.T.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I know nothing about the 48RE but have a lot of towing experience with the Alli. That transmission just keeps downshifting and upshifting so much under load that I just hated it. My towing speeds were real slow into headwinds and on hills because of the transmission. It was good downhill in tow haul mode.

At the end of my experience the Alli crapped out but I unloaded the truck before attacking that repair. For me the one I had was very disappointing and far from a standard to compare other automatics with.

·
Registered
111 Posts
My stock auto 47rh had 141,000 miles of hard life on it when I swapped it out for a suncoast. It was working fine when I pulled it I just wanted the tighter converter and the beefed up tranny to handle more power. I know of more than a few with 200,000 plus miles on the automatic and still going strong. As far as shift patterns the cummins makes so much low end torque that mine never has to shift out of overdrive.

·
Registered
64 Posts
My old truck with a 47rh went 178,000 before putting a complete DTT transmission in. That one lasted until I sold the truck at 416,000+ miles and as far as I know it's still going, probably well over 500k now. I personally know of several hotshot drivers running Dodge 2500 pickups, not pulling trailers that have over 300k on them and one that has over 400k on the original transmission, never been touched other than changing oil and filters. I don't think this transmission is near as bad as a lot of people seem to think. I run a 6 speed now, but if I could have found a 3500 HO with a 48RE when I bought my new one, I wouldn't have hesitated to get it.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
My one cousin had a 98 Dodge, stock, tranny was replaced before 100k another cousin has a 95 Dodge, also stock and is on his third trans and he is between 150-200k. I also know of several others that have not had good luck with them. I would say the exact opposite about the 5&6 speeds, they are good.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Naysayers say what you like, especially those who haven't owned a 48re, keep runnin your mouth's. Here is a fact. I have had 3 HO/48re's that get used harder than most any other on this board, and not so much as a hiccup outta any of em. I actually like the 48re better than all the allison's I've had do to the fact of how well it'll pull in overdrive, the amount of weight I run those allison's just as well have not had 5th gear cause it never used it. As far as failure's, I sell 10 Dodge/Cummins/48re's for every 1 Chevy D/A I sell. And we haven't touched a 48re yet while I have 2 allisons laying on the floor right now over at the Chevy store. Oh well, you guys must know better, you haven't had a 48re but you sure as hell have branded anyhting that has the goat head on the front "junk". Your bashing of something you don't have any personal experience with doesn't get to me though, it may seem like it, but no. I was Dodge when Dodge wasn't cool, I put up with the naysayers then and I can do it now because there are a lot less of you. I'm done ranting now. Edited by: Cummins Luke

·
Registered
125 Posts
Oh, and to answer the very first question, yes, you can pull 12k very easily with a 48re. 4.10 gears help, but 3.73's will still get'r done. Just pulled 22k with the wife's last weekend, had a 1-ton 4x4 Chevy with a 10' dump bed on my stepdeck and my loader tractor in front of that. Pulled better than I expected cause her's has the 3.73's. I have pulled over 30k in the past with my other's, they were dually's with 4.10 gears though.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Cummins Luke

I share your opinion: I quote a part of your previous message "Your bashing of something you don't have any personal experience with doesn't get to me though,"

I came to this forum to benefit from the advice of the ones who speak from Cummins experience.

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
YOu guys are making me feel good.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Hoot, Don't worry just about the time you're starting to feel good, I'm sure your ahole buddy "The Truth" will open his cake hole and start spewwing crap again. What hole did that piece of work crawl out of?

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
Los Lobos said:
Hoot, Don't worry just about the time you're starting to feel good, I'm sure your ahole buddy "The Truth" will open his cake hole and start spewwing crap again. What hole did that piece of work crawl out of?
The Truth is... he has my entire internet history... from when I bashed Fords (still do sometimes), to my, and many others, excitement and subsequent purchase of the Dmax/Ally in his archives and is now laying out my dirty laundry along with his opinion of me personally. Something he has done for years.

My mistake was continuing a relationship with him, all along knowing he was/is a hoot hater that seems to think there is something to be accomplished in this.

Most of what he says is the truth except for one main thing.
His claims that I believe I'm somehow better or "Holier than Thou" as he puts it. It drives him crazy that I believe we should be in control of our actions but obviously we... and I.... am not.

Believe me, some of the stuff he posts on the other site about himself, the upscale area he lives in and how being in business for himself makes him better than those who don't, tells me he has the real "pedestal" problem.

Los Lobos.... you had to bring this up didn't you

1 - 14 of 14 Posts