Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
16,609 Posts
I always do. I don't know how bad it is but it has to be better to stop. Mike L will be able to comment better.

·
Registered
11,953 Posts
You really should come to a complete stop. The converter will take some of the abuse but its still not good on things.

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
I always stop. I never did in my Moms 94 Dodge Caravan when I was young and the local Dodge dealer said that is why the trans let go at around 95,000 miles.

·
Registered
14,324 Posts
I think the Ally protects itself pretty well by not allowing quick changes no matter what you do with the shifter. But I always stop first before changing directions. Unless I'm running from the law. :eek: ):h

·
Registered
370 Posts
Before I stop I put the trans in neutral, Let it stay there for a couple of seconds as I come to a stop. the gear change isn't so firm that way, let's the internal pressure drop I guess, but I always stop.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
One of my pet peeves...I ALWAYS come to a complete stop before changing directions.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
I payed 40K for my truck. I take care of it and it takes care of me......

·
Registered
201 Posts
I always come to a complete stop. Now if I could just convince my wife to do the same I'd be in business.:cool:

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
I always come to a complete stop. Now if I could just convince my wife to do the same I'd be in business.:cool:
I've got a Pete Rose 33oz Louisville Special that might work......OK OK its the wife I know.......How about my Mickey Mantel 35 oz ....that should work

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
i never stop just put it gear and go

·
Registered
140 Posts
My girlfriend doesn't like to come to a stop with mine, now she doesn't get to drive it anymore.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
I never stop...when you are barely rolling foward or backard and the shift from said gear to the opposite I dont see how it could hurt it.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I think the Ally protects itself pretty well by not allowing quick changes no matter what you do with the shifter. But I always stop first before changing directions. Unless I'm running from the law. :eek: ):h
Are you running from them because of bovid related offenses?

:lol:

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
years ago i had a courtesy mazda pickup while my car was in the shop. wasn't a problem shifting to reverse while at 40 mph. drove past a buddies house and he wanted to know what the heck kinda engine can crank out so much power to spin the wheels at the speed i was moving. had to explain i shifted to reverse while raising the rpm's. don't know how long the truck lived after that but long enuf to have gotten my car back.

·
Registered
14,324 Posts
years ago i had a courtesy mazda pickup while my car was in the shop. wasn't a problem shifting to reverse while at 40 mph. drove past a buddies house and he wanted to know what the heck kinda engine can crank out so much power to spin the wheels at the speed i was moving. had to explain i shifted to reverse while raising the rpm's. don't know how long the truck lived after that but long enuf to have gotten my car back.
Maybe the next time you have a parking attendant handle your truck he will give you the same courtesy.:rolleyes: I bet he will be as worried as you as to the longevity of the trucks trans.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I don't know about reverse, I 'pretty much' stop. You'd be surprised to see as vehicles drive off the line of assembly plants one of the first things they do is throw it into park when driving about 10mph.
Makes a god awful chattering sound against parking pawl... that's how they test it though.

·
Registered
105 Posts
From the owners manual:

Notice: Shifting to REVERSE (R) while your vehicle is moving forward could damage the transmission. The repairs would not be covered by your warranty. Shift to REVERSE (R) only after your vehicle is stopped.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts