Diesel Place banner

101 - 113 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I’ve always done my oil changes used to use nothing but Mobil 1 turbo diesel oil. I’ve since changed to Schaeffers 9000 and will never use anything but. For filters, I’ve always ran oem, whether it’s on my duramax trucks, the Chevy gassers, or even my 6.0 powerstroke. I’ve been thinking of swapping to a Mobil 1 filter on the lml. I don’t trust the quick line places at all. My neighbor even had his oil changed at the dealer till they left the drain plug out after fill up. As soon as he left the lot, the oil pressure light came on and the motor locked up. They bought him a new l31 for his obs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am 65 years old and have been driving since I was 16 and I have always changed the oil and lube on every one of the vehicles I have owned. I use Rotella oil and AC Delco filters.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
"I’ve always done my oil changes used to use nothing but Mobil 1 turbo diesel oil. I’ve since changed to Schaeffers 9000 and will never use anything but. "
Can you say more? What differences did you experience? Are you using 5W40, 15W40 or something else Just curious.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
125 Posts
I put Amsoil bypass system on my truck, when I changed my oil at 10 k I could still see thru it. It was obviously darker but not so soot filled you could not see thru it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
125 Posts
I am going to do analysis this round at 10k, I think I could easily get 20 k out of Amsoil oil and the bypass.

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
I am going to do analysis this round at 10k, I think I could easily get 20 k out of Amsoil oil and the bypass.

Not knowing what oil you are using I will not be able to make a comment on it but.....I am going to guess that whatever oil you use you will find that it will be good to continue use for another cycle in part (a big part) because of the bypass unit. I have one on my 2013 and I use Amsoil's Max Duty oil and I do a 20k mile oil change.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Yeah I agree, I just want to do analysis first. I am using the heavy duty 5w-40 from Amsoil. I have been really impressed with Amsoil’s quality since the first time I have used it. I am a dealer as well so if anyone is interested in Amsoil products DM me.

My LML is my DD and I put slot of highway miles on it. It was love at first sight last month, five years ago when I plucked her from the stealership. She had a few operations early on to keep her strong and moving well for a long time. Lol

·
Registered
37 Posts
Chevron Delo from Costco and Napa filters. Takes 15 minutes.
X2 I use wix pretty much the same, 7 dollar filter 12 -13 bucks a gallon 43 dollar oil change. You can do 2 for less than 90 bucks.

·
Registered
2003 Stock 2500 with LB7
23 Posts
15w40 Amsoil. Change it once per year around soring/early summer. Mobil 1 extended life filter. At stock ride height it can be a bit challenging to get underneath. But I've changed oil on 100xxx vehicles in my life so definitely not paying shop to do it. Also don't have bypass installed yet but probably should as they will back up there warranty on their product with third-party Labs that are not biased or affiliated with them which is one of the primary reasons why I chose to go with them because there's no advertising, no hype just straightforward synthetic oil that is not petroleum-based. With that being said the cost for my oil change is probably about 160 to 170 a year so again probably saving a little bit of money from a shop but the quality that oil is the difference.

·
Premium Member
2,968 Posts
Yeah, I change my own. I find Walmart has the best prices for Mobil 1 synthetic and a filter. The way our truck oil filters are angled over the front drive train, I'm very much a neat freak at doing a clean job. I know if somebody else did it, they probably wouldn't give a damn where the oil drips and runs all over my drive train and frame.

·
Registered
5,133 Posts
Yeah, I change my own. I find Walmart has the best prices for Mobil 1 synthetic and a filter. The way our truck oil filters are angled over the front drive train, I'm very much a neat freak at doing a clean job. I know if somebody else did it, they probably wouldn't give a damn where the oil drips and runs all over my drive train and frame.
In New England we call that rust preventing and it‘s preferred

Reactions: johnH123

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
Knowing that to make money people do the least possible that they are able to get paid for, yea, I prefer to do all my own stuff. "Pro" simply means "I get paid". It does not mean they will do the job better or even right. So if I am capable, I go with the guy that has a dog in the race, that does the best he can because it is his.

Edit: What I've paid "pros" to do before -
  • Dealer warped my rotors doing tire rotation
  • Dealer overfilled my oil twice
  • Dealer stole money from my change tray
  • Oil shop left fill cap off
  • Shop scratched my rims changing tires

Reactions: gunnerdmax2003

·
Registered
2003 Stock 2500 with LB7
23 Posts
Yes I definitely change my own oil. I've changed the oil and over 85,000 vehicles in my life so I guess I have a bit of experience. I run Amsoil 1540 Signature Series and Mobil 1 extended life filter from Walmart and change it once a year. As for the zerks I typically taken into Jiffy Lube and have them hit him for me they're typically pretty good about that if I swing by and just ask them to do it. And based on my experience working in the pit for 5 years and oil shop I can tell you right now that you really only need recently about once a year we get customers come in with her trucks specifically Chevys and over and over again they would be still packed with grease from 5000 miles prior.

101 - 113 of 113 Posts