Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Just checking to see if most ppl change their oil themself? I have been paying the dealer for awhile but they told me they were going up to $90.00...I know they do top all the fluids and grease things but its costing too much... For the ppl who change their themself what kind of oil do yall use and do you use AC Delco filters? Thanks..

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Chevron Delo from Costco and Napa filters. Takes 15 minutes.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Chevron Delo from Costco and Napa filters. Takes 15 minutes.
Thanks! What about that rotela oil if thats how you spell it? I seen it at walmart they have 2.5 gals for $24...

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
As long as it's CJ-4, the rest is just brand loyalty.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Nice to do a little hands yourself once in a while. Then you know it's getting done right. Plus it saves some money.

·
Registered
5,443 Posts
yep delo every 3k for gas engines and every 4-5K for diesel.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Fifteen minutes to drain and fill, grease all fittings, check all fluids and check/adjust air pressure in the tires?
TPMS dude.

I check my fluids every time I get fuel.

And yes, greasing fittings while the oil drains into a bucket isn't that hard.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
With your lift - you will have it made.
Jimmy knows what's up.

I just stick a 5 gallon bucket under the oil pan. done and done.

·
Premium Member
2,958 Posts
Just checking to see if most ppl change their oil themself? I have been paying the dealer for awhile but they told me they were going up to $90.00...I know they do top all the fluids and grease things but its costing too much... For the ppl who change their themself what kind of oil do yall use and do you use AC Delco filters? Thanks..

Tubbz, I do my own oil changes, cause most people who do them, don't care if your oil leaks all over your frame or from the oil filter fitting. I use Mobile 1 synthetic turbo diesel oil and a Mobil 1 filter

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
I bet you dont have a grease gun. If not just go pick one up at any auto parts store. I use a lift to change mine :D

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Tubbz, I do my own oil changes, cause most people who do them, don't care if your oil leaks all over your frame or from the oil filter fitting. I use Mobile 1 synthetic turbo diesel oil and a Mobil 1 filter
Cool...Thanks for all the info guys! Im pretty mechanically inclined since i put this lift on so I will be fine...Just wondering if I would really same that much$$$$$...On another note it seems as if everyone likes Mobil 1 and filter...Im kinda Die Hard Delco but if Mobile 1 is better then i will get that...What do they use at the dealer for oil? I think its Mobile anyway...Fram filters any good? Srry for all the questions...I have been just paying ppl to do my wrk since it under warranty...

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I bet you dont have a grease gun. If not just go pick one up at any auto parts store. I use a lift to change mine :D
Yeah i got a grease gun..Thats what i grease my mower with and ATV....Yeah i dont have a lift and dont need one for my rig..

·
Registered
249 Posts
I have been doing my own service for years.I use to have a friend that worked at an oil change place you would not believe some of the stories that he would tell me about some of the stuff they would get away with on cars ever since then i have been doing my own.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
With your lift - you will have it made. Finding and greasing the 11 zerks is the fun part.....

You can do much better that AC Delco for the oil filter, like Mobil 1.

Get a Fumoto valve.

;)
That Fumto Vale is pretty cool...Never seen it before..How much?

·
Registered
7,943 Posts
I change my own, and just changed to Mobil 1 synthetic. It takes like 15 min, but most of that time is wriggling under the truck and letting the oil drain. I would not use Fram filters, sorry. I just tried Bosch and it seems to be alright.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I have been doing my own service for years.I use to have a friend that worked at an oil change place you would not believe some of the stories that he would tell me about some of the stuff they would get away with on cars ever since then i have been doing my own.
Yeah Im also a little worried when someone else does it...It bothered me so bad that I would check the oil plug and filter and dipstick before pulling off...Should have been doing it myself huh?

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I change my own, and just changed to Mobil 1 synthetic. It takes like 15 min, but most of that time is wriggling under the truck and letting the oil drain. I would not use Fram filters, sorry. I just tried Bosch and it seems to be alright.
Thanks Brad....Sounds like I should be going with Mobil 1 then...Do they make the Royal Purple for diesels?

1 - 20 of 112 Posts