Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have experience with any of the "do it yourself" roll-on/spray-on bedliners that are available? My guess is that preparation is key, and I would bet that most of us would do a better job of prep than some kid making $10 an hour at the install center. The directions on the box look easy enough

·
Registered
183 Posts
I haven't heard of a single person who used one and felt it could stand up to much abuse. They are much thinner, and very likely, less durable and protective than the commercially applied coatings like Line-X, Rhino, etc....

I've considered using the do-it-yourself material on the very bottom of my rocker panels and in my wheel wells, but I wouldn't personally consider using it for offering much protection for the bed.

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
I helped my buddy put a Herculiner in his 99 Dodge cause he didn't wanna blow $400+ on a spray in. To tell you the truth, it turned out better than I thought it would. We did some additional "scuffing" of the bed before we rolled it on. The scuff pad they provide is a joke. He has had it now for a few months and it is holding up well. If someone plans on doing one of these, get two kits so you can apply several coats. One jug just aint enough.

·
Registered
42,913 Posts
I'm sure it would be just fine for a Dodge.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I used a product called Rattleguard. I sprayed it myself. I ordered the gun and enough product to spray my shortbed for around $200.00. I have since sprayed 10 other beds. Rattleguard seems to hold up as well as the big names.

http://www.rattleguard.com

·
Registered
248 Posts
I put Herculiner in my '99. For the price, it has held up pretty well. I agree, proper prep is the key. I scuffed with 80 grit and used a 3" wire wheel lightly along the bed ribs. It looked great when new, but now it looks like it could use some touch-up. Being in the weather all of the time, there are places that look like it "evaporated" to some extent. All in all, the stuff is tough and does what it is supposed to do. A friend of mine did an entire K5 Blazer. It's his Beach-Buggy!

I haven't had time to do my '04 yet, but it will likely get the same treatment. This time, probably a thicker coat.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
At the company I last worked for we had 14 vans that had carpet cleaning equipment in them. We rolled about 5. Then we came up with a idea to spray them with a hopper (used for spraying acoustic) those worked out 10 times better than rolling. It did hold up better with ripping and tearing but the chemical screwed them all up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts