Diesel Place banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day I had my truck on the rack using the frame as the lifting point, the front suspension was at full travel and I noticed the shocks were the limiting factor in travel. Should the shocks be at full travel, or do I need to install sxtenders?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I cranked the bars up 1 inch, everything else is stock.

·
Banned
720 Posts
o.k if you cranked them i did the same you can take the shock off and stack a few washers on the top of the shock where the threads are (the shaft end)aproxx3/8 worth of washers .now on my first 06 i put the green keys in and still cranked the t-bars i would not ever do or reccomend again i accually took the bottom shock mount off bought longer bolts went to the harware store and got some black iron 1"couplers and put them under the lower shock mount and got a ton of travel cheap fix either way you go it will cost under 5 bucks to fix

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
if you have them cranked 1" or more it would probably be a good idea to either put some washers/spacer in or get extenders to get a better ride. i have mine at 1.5" and put a nut probably was 3/8" at the bottom instead of washers and it let my uca drop all the way to the bump stop, think i gained alittle better ride but only on really rough roads, where the susp drops alot.

basically if you think its riding bad or worse than it did stock then do one of the above things and see if it helps.

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
Even stock, no cranking...stock shocks are too short.

Cranking t-bars doesnt change the amount travel of shock...only makes the too short stock shock apparent when driving cause your now riding in the region of suspension travel where its limited by the shock. Stock and cranked have same amount of potential suspension motion...

I have no idea why GM would have chose shock that limit suspension travel way before the frame/aa-arm stops do....

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
i beleive that at stock hieght it would take a very rough road or a very deep and sudden drop to make it drop all the way down, which is why they did this. once you have cranked the bars the position of the shock is riding at a different position than stock and there is a greater chance of drop travel and the shocks limiting the down travel.

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
I agree completely Z71offroader, with normal opperating conditions, shock length/travel not a problem...

I just cant understand why they would even let a shock come close to acting as a limiting strap when there are frame/a-arm provisions to do so...that apparently do nothing. What about those folks who actually offroad there 4x4...or even putting it up on a lift. Its it really good to alow the weight of the wheel/tire/brake assy. hang from the shock whenever you jack it up or put it up on the lift for service? Just seems stupid to me...

·
Registered
289 Posts
I broke my shock in half.. I assume while driving across fields and having the suspension drop hard a few too many times. I guess it was still drivable and it only cost me about $80 to put a new one in.

I did the washer thing until I put my cognito kit in .. now extensions.

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
Unless you go way up or do a lot of offroading, you'll be fine.

When outfitting with new shocks, I recommend adding then just for the peace of mind.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
i agree it is kind of odd for gm to do so. my only reason i could come up with is that with a longer shock you might not get as much up travel, as a longer should would bottom out faster than a shorter one. another could be for longer life on the cv shafts. when they are dropped all the way it is at a pretty great angle, probably not enough to break but mayb enough a few times can wear them out faster.

·
Registered
179 Posts
lisagrantb;1587283; said:
The other day I had my truck on the rack using the frame as the lifting point, the front suspension was at full travel and I noticed the shocks were the limiting factor in travel. Should the shocks be at full travel, or do I need to install sxtenders?

here's some good reading.

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49178

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the input, I am ging to install some spacers.

·
Registered
510 Posts
So which is better....extenders, spacers, or washers?
Or does it not matter?

Do I need to get certain grade washers so they hold up?

Is it better to space the top of the shock or both?

A buddy of mine told me that I should have gotten the longer Rancho 9000 shocks (the ones for a 4" lift) instead of 4WP talking me into getting the 2" longer shocks for a torsion lift cuz they are apparently still too short.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts