Diesel Place banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's times where I might not drive my van a while. Last year my brakes got really rusted after sitting. I'm under doing an oil change now and the inside of both front rotors don't look like the pad is contacting. Are my calipers stuck?

·
Administrator
16,000 Posts
With the northern rust you experience I would say yes, you need new rotors and brake pads.. maybe more depending on what is found during the teardown.

Reactions: mp06011999

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
With the northern rust you experience I would say yes, you need new rotors and brake pads.. maybe more depending on what is found during the teardown.
This sucks because these brakes had a lot of life left on them.
Any good source for complete brakes? Pad rotors and caliper

·
Administrator
16,000 Posts
This sucks because these brakes had a lot of life left on them.
Any good source for complete brakes? Pad rotors and caliper
RockAuto carries a kit that includes the rotors, pads, and calipers with the needed hardware.

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
I am wondering when you people are gonna stop wasting good salt on your roads ?

·
Registered
6,302 Posts
I am wondering when you people are gonna stop wasting good salt on your roads ?
Truth be told....

Plenty of salt mines in the midwest, which makes salt cheap. Sure it screws up the cars and the roads. But plenty of road builders and car makers in the midwest. Almost like it's a plan to make work - lol.

Truth - I worked for one of the largest aggregate companies in MI and they were insistent that we always support the higher weight limits for the roads and the use of salt for keeping them clear of ice. A financial money train cycle in sync with a road and car killing cycle.

Reactions: turboawd

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Took apart brakes. Calipers moved freely and were still well lubed.
The inner pad just wouldn't wear the rotor well. Instead the inner pad wore more.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm putting on semi mettallic heavy duty pads. Hope I don't regret it, mainly with wheel dust issue.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Putting brakes on and realizing I might need to change wheel bearing hubs. One doesn't sound good when spinning by hand.... 110k miles and I'll be changing these a second time.

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
They probably got heated up from all the corrosion on the rotors.

·
Registered
5,143 Posts

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Are the pads able to move freely in the caliper bracket?
Yeah. They moved freely. I lubed everything good last time I did brakes. Like I said, sometimes the van sits parked for a while, and the rotors got really rusted at one point. I had posted about it here a while ago because they were grinding bad. But I just ignored it and the noise sort of went away.

So I had new bearing hubs already and installed those along with semi mettallic pads and new rotors. Just did front. I do like how these pads bite better. I'll probably do the rears tomorrow.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts