Diesel Place banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am contemplating the purchase of a Jayco 305BHS. I am wondering if I will need a "full-time" slider hitch for this fifth wheel with a shortbed GMC 2500HD crew cab. I'm not sure if I will be able to stay within the 16-degree limit for hooking up a PullRite SuperGlide. So, I'm looking at a Reese Kwik-Slide. However, if the clearance is really tight on this TV/FW combination, I'd be willing to see if I could make the PullRite work. Backing up I'm sure I'd use the manual slide. Any advice for me?Edited by: tundracamper

·
Registered
276 Posts
I don't know what your situation is with needing to hookup at an angle, but I can tell you that I have a SuperGlide, and I absolutely love it.

I think that the issue is that if you get a MANUAL slider, then you need to ALWAYS be watching it to make sure that you don't hit it. I have a situation when I back my 5er into my yard that demands that I get off of the highway as quickly as I can. I would NOT have the time to stop and manually slide a manual slider. I could PROBABLY make it without sliding anything, but it would ONLY take once in a panic, and my camper would contact my truck and it would be all over.

I look at the PullRite as insurance, AND it's insurance that's there 100% of the time. If you ever get into a situation where you don't have time or something happens with a manual slider, and you don't get it slid, there's always that chance that something may happen.

The PullRite is like a Ronco Showtime grill.... "You set, and forget it..."

CADman_ks

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have a Jayco TalonZX 36' Toyhauler. Damn thing measures 39.4' nose to tail. Pull it with a 2500HD dmax/ally shortbed. Had i done some research BEFORE i bought the damn thing, id have DEFINATELY got the slider hitch. So far, i havent hit the cab of my truck, but ive come DAMN close, and it WILL hit if im not watching it. If/when i get the cash to get a better hitch, i WILL get a slider hitch, and it will be the auto kind.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I pull a Jayco Eagle 30 foot overall fiver. got the reese 16k with slide...ive done some crazy stuff when new like pullin a uturn on a main street and jumping a curb at that..never hit or touched the bedrails!! the guy up above was on my side that afternoon..if i had to buy again, i dont know if i would have got the slide..havent needed it so far..but i guessyou never know..later bc

·
Registered
754 Posts
Got the superglide, don't regret spending the extra $ at all. I've been in some tight spots and it was very comforting not having to worry about the hitch while I manuvered some agressive angles. For me, worth it.

Mike

·
Registered
772 Posts
I have a TT, not a fiver so I haven't had to confront this issue directly. But, with all the dumb, absent minded things I do with depressing regularity, were I to switch to a fifth wheel I'd definitely get the PullRite or I'd have dents in the cab sure as hell.

TC

·
Registered
405 Posts
I have the Reese 16K Kwik slide. Love it....

I have never had to use the slide feature, but it's nice to know its there.....

I have also spoken to several RV'ers that swear by the Pull Rite... It's all preference as both will work very well and are quality products.

The important thing to remember is that the "slide" accessory is essential when the truck bed is only 6' long...

·
Registered
107 Posts
A lot depends on the kingpin. If you have an extended kingpin on your 5th-wheel you probably won't need a sliding hitch. I have a CC SB and have never used the slide (Reese 16K slide hitch). I have to back at almost a 90 degree angle to get the trailer into my backyard. However, you never know, there may be a time I might need it and will be very thankful that I do.

ChrisEdited by: CMDMAX

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have a superglide and love it. You only have to strike the cab once and you'll wish you would have spent the money. There’s a lot going on when you’re backing up and not ever ever having to worry about the trailer and the cab meeting is pretty nice. I’ve never had any problems with the 16 degree thing, it’s pretty wide. If you need to park a very severe angle pull the 2 pins that hold the king pin receiver to the hitch and lift it off with you trailer and leave it hanging until your read to leave. It’s kind of tricky to get it lined back up but not as hard and you might think. Practice in a parking lot until you get it figured out.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Whether or not you need a slider hitch is dependent upon THREE things:

1. The truck

2. Design of the pin box (even extended must be done right or you'll rape the bed rails.

3. The design of the front end of the fifth wheel.

I converted my Reese 16k to a non-slider. Never needed the slide and the slide mechanism makes the whole hitch pretty heavy for lugging it in and out of the truck. Here's mine at nearly 90 degrees. At 90, note that the corner of the FW will actually be BESIDE the cab of the truck due to the undercut design of the front of the FW.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I haven't said anything upto this point, but I feel there's some mis-information in this thread that needs to be clarified.

Number 1: Having an extended hitch pin does NOT prevent you from hitting your truck. It HELPS, but does not prevent it.

Number 2: The design of the nose does NOT prevent you from hitting your truck. It HELPS, but does not prevent it.

The reasons is this: Measure from your kingpin to the outside of your camper. That measurement will be anywhere from 46" to 51". Now measure the distance from your kingpin to the back of the cab of your pickup. That measurement will be somewhere around 40", if your hitch point is right over the axle. Since the "narrowest" point of the trailer is 46" minus the distance to the cab, 40", you'll have 6" of interference, and the trailer WILL contact the cab.

As for the above photo, I don't want to start a flame war, but you're only at about 70deg.

Here's a photo of my truck hooked UPTO a PullRite slider at 70deg (notice that the point of my camper is about at the point of my cab):

Here's a picture of my truck at 90deg, full jackknife (impossible without a slider hitch of some kind). My hitch moves back about 14" when I'm in this position. The clearance between the bed and the camper is about 8". Without the slider, I would have about 6" of interference.

I'm not trying to offend anyone, nor do I want to make it sound like I have all of the answers. I just wanted to make sure that people don't get the false hope that without a slider hitch they'll never have problems.

I personally have a slider hitch because I view it as insurance. I did NOT have a slider with my last shortbox, and I missed my cab by 1/4" one time. I was lucky that I caught it, but it could have gone the other way just as easily.

DarrinEdited by: CADman_ks

·
Registered
405 Posts
Darrin,

Very well said.....

·
Registered
53 Posts
Just want to throw in my 2 cents again. Last night on my way home from a fishing trip I when down a road only to discover that it had a bridge to low for me to drive under. Fortunately I realized this while there was a side street to turn on so I could get off of the main road. The road and a fairly wide shoulder so I was able to swing wide and back up and get about half the trailer off the shoulder pull forward then backed up jack knifing the truck and trailer pulled forward backed up one more time to give myself a little buffer jack knifed the truck and trailer one more time and I was outta there. The whole thing took about 4 or 5 min because I was by myself and would get out the check my clearances.

IMHO just this one experience made the purchase of the superglide worth it. With 2 relatively simple full jack knife maneuvers I was out of a pretty tight situation. I can’t tell you how glad I was I didn’t have to mess with standard slider hitch. In a situation like this one not have to mess with your hitch or the trailer hitting your cab was very nice.

·
Registered
53 Posts
opps lets try that line again
In a situation like this one not having to mess with your hitch or worry about the trailer hitting your cab was very nice.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts