Diesel Place banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Automotive parking light Grille Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood

I Have a 2005 gmc Sierra 2500hd my vin says I have a lly but when I went to change glowplug it was a glowplug for a lbz not a lly so I ordered one for a lly but didn't fit thread's would not thred in one that I took out thread's were more often shaft of glowplug
Writing implement Office supplies Pen Writing instrument accessory Laser pointer

Office supplies Wood Writing implement Household hardware Pipe

Product Automotive tire Gas Font Tin

·
Administrator
20,833 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks but still does not answer my question my vin says I have a lly but my glowplug I pulled out of engine is a lbz glowplug ?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Did you buy the truck new, if not it could have been swapped by someone else. The VIN is only good till it's sold.

·
Premium Member
18,234 Posts
The simple answer...
If the truck has a FICM, it's an LLY.
Automotive fuel system Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Light

·
Premium Member
18,234 Posts
Further digging says that LBZ heads will fit, and work, on an LLY, with the only differences being the glow plug (still compatible electrically), and the need for a slightly thicker O-ring on the injector body, if reusing the LLY injector.

Obviously, based on the VIN, and the glow plug, that cylinder head has been replaced. I'd be curious to see if they are the same on the other side.

·
Premium Member
2007 Klassic CCSB 2500HD. Six-gun w/speedloader, iDash, and EFILive.
1,182 Posts
My stepdad had an LB7 replaced with an LLY by the dealership because it was a lemon. Stranger things have happened.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The simple answer...
If the truck has a FICM, it's an LLY.
View attachment 647946
Think it's a lly with lbz heads just wondering if I need to upgrade glowplug module hard to start in cold weather lots of white smoke but when its warm no smoke i got a code for glowplug #1 that's when i figured out it must be lbz heads on a lly

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Think it's a lly with lbz heads just wondering if I need to upgrade glowplug module hard to start in cold weather lots of white smoke but when its warm no smoke i got a code for glowplug #1 that's when i figured out it must be lbz heads on a lly
Also lly injectors fit are they the same as lbz injectors?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Did you buy the truck new, if not it could have been swapped by someone else. The VIN is only good till it's sold.
Bought used and replaced a injector it was a lly injector not a lbz not sure if they are the same?

·
Premium Member
2007 Klassic CCSB 2500HD. Six-gun w/speedloader, iDash, and EFILive.
1,182 Posts
Dude, you need to go back and read. You got one of the rare honored appearances from Brian AKA Hey McCall. He explained the whole thing about how you can fit one on the other with a bigger o-ring but the other won't fit in the one. Go back and read it. This is the same question one asks when they wonder if you can put 5.56 NATO in a .223. A square is a rhombus, but a rhombus is not a square.

Reactions: Dmax affair

·
Ex- 6BT Square Body Man
10,067 Posts
Also lly injectors fit are they the same as lbz injectors?
LBZ and LLY injectors are not the same, voltages are different.
Also LBZ injectors will not fit in LLY heads, the LBZ injector has a step in the injector body that won't allow it to fit in a LLY head.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
LBZ and LLY injectors are not the same, voltages are different.
Also LBZ injectors will not fit in LLY heads, the LBZ injector has a step in the injector body that won't allow it to fit in a LLY head.
But will lly injectors fit in a lbz head because the glow plugs are lbz I ordered lly glow plugs and found out they were lbz glow plugs

·
Registered
456 Posts
But will lly injectors fit in a lbz head because the glow plugs are lbz I ordered lly glow plugs and found out they were lbz glow plugs
Holy sh!t, READ... here's a hint, post #7.

Reactions: roswell
1 - 15 of 15 Posts