Diesel Place banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1995 Chevy 3500 6.5TD Crew Cab Long Bed, All stock except for a Diamond Eye 4" Exhaust
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, Not sure if this is the right place to post, but here go's...
I just bought and installed an elecrto-viscous fan clutch and it seems to be fully engaged all the time (old one would just freewheel the fan). it's for a 2010 express 3500 6.6l diesel. I first thought there was something with the electronics so I disconnected the plug to the clutch, but was still the same. I can break it loose by holding the blade with a used belt (didn't want to use my hand lol) and crank it up. run a couple seconds, remove the belt holding the blade and crank it back up. then the fan will freewheel, connecting the harness and turn on the AC, clutch will engage as normal, but with the AC off and the clutch connector unplugged the fan stays engaged. holding the rpm up around 3k the fan won't let loose.

Ive taken it down the freeway but to no avail the fan will not break free on it's own! is this normal for a new fan clutch or did I get a defective one.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Did you drive it around a bit? Maybe it just needs a little time??

·
Registered
69 Posts
There is another discussion on fan clutches here, but long story short it appears these things seem to be finicky at best. I'll hear mine engage pretty aggressively sometimes when its under 70 degrees outside and my coolant temps are under 180 with no AC on. The original factory unit didn't do that. I should mention the one if have now is also a factory GM unit replaced by the dealership.

·
Registered
1995 Chevy 3500 6.5TD Crew Cab Long Bed, All stock except for a Diamond Eye 4" Exhaust
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good morning, yes I have been driving it for a few days like this. so far it seems like its a straight fan!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts