Diesel Place banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 04 dmax,alli build date 9/16 and was wondering if all the 04's have the updated trans. I have noticed that the temp never is even close to 200 that some other guys are reporting,I know its not as hot as it was,but I have been thinking that its some of the changes that was made for 04. Edited by: silvermax

·
Registered
704 Posts
I have the 04, and mine stayes around 140-150. I have asked this very question, and been told it was ALL 2004 Allisons, but I would like to hear this confirmed by more people in the know.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I have a late production 2003 and the temp stays low on it to, about 150 average.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Im with Amric, mine did not even hit 200 pulling 14000# camper over the mountains in W.V. Runs around 140 empty.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im gonna leave that one to the experts y2kboti
Im glad that it has the updated tranny. Yea fill us in on the updates....

·
Registered
704 Posts
Again, this is second hand knowledge, but I heard it is rated to 600 ft-lbs. The way I look at it is that 80ft-lbs more than the 03. Since the 03 would not limp with the Quad 110, but would limp with the 135, I am hoping the 04 can handle the 135 and perhaps even the 165hp tune. I am running the 135HP tune now and havn't limped the trans yet. If I make it to spring with no limp, I'm going to try the 165hp tune. If it limps, then its shift kit time, and straight to the 215hp tune, or whatever Quad has up his sleeve for the next level.

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
On Power train web site it still has the same specs but this change is there,
<H2 style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">NEW OR CHANGED</H2>
<H2 style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"> </H2>
<H2 style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">Allison 1000/Allison 2000/Allison 2400 (M74/MX4/MTW) Truck Transmission </H2>

2004 Model Year Summary
Modulated Oil Pump Pressure Reduces Noise

<H2 style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">FULL DESCRIPTIONS OF NEW OR CHANGED FEATURES</H2>

MODULATED OIL PUMP PRESSURE REDUCES NOISE / INCREASES COOLER FLOW

A modulator valve body and external wiring harness to control the modulator were added to modulate the main oil pump pressure. This reduces oil pump pressure at engine idle speed and therefore lowers the operating noise level of the transmission and substantially increases transmission cooler flow at idle.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wonder where they get the extra holding capacity if the only changes are a modulator valve body and external wiring harness to control pump pressure at idle?

·
Registered
14,321 Posts
Allison has added a pressure control solenoid to regulate pressure on demand. Older Allisons ran on a fixed pressure setting for the pressure regulator valve (they run on 110% of calculated demand. Thats why you have the extra wire to activate the new solenoid.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm still confused! The '04 has the new tranny? If so ,it is rated at more hp and torque? is there an external difference I can look at to see if it is the newer model. Thanks guys.

Ed

1 - 12 of 12 Posts