Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(Just looking for opinions here....... because I hate losing)..............A friend of mine just got an 03 6.0 psd and is planning on putting a 100 (or so) horse chip in it and then wants to race me. His truck is also lifted with 35's. and is a cc s/b 4x4. Do I have enough, or should I upgrade? All my mods are posted in my sig.

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Very, very close. If you want to beat him comfortably, you better upgrade.

He has the advantage of starting with more hp before the upgrade and I believe they can order with different gear ratios so he might have lower gearing then you. That would be an advantage with 35" tires.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
that vvt is wicked.....you need some help

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
sdaver said:
that vvt is wicked.....you need some help

Yep, I drove my dad's today and it is amazing how much more responsive it is then our trucks. We haven't raced yet, but to be honest I am a little bit scared to. He has the Edge box in his. Seat of the pants I would say his is faster but no hard evidence. On a side note, it stalled on me a couple times at read lights.

I have edge+attitude.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
1bad01- don't race him for ownership, unless your lookin for a new truck. Edge with attitude, should have you in the winners circle, and in line for a tranny.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
1bad01 said:
(Just looking for opinions here....... because I hate losing)..............A friend of mine just got an 03 6.0 psd and is planning on putting a 100 (or so) horse chip in it and then wants to race me. His truck is also lifted with 35's. and is a cc s/b 4x4. Do I have enough, or should I upgrade? All my mods are posted in my sig.

What chip is he running ??

Simple ....

When your lined up have passenger window down ....

Look over at friend just before some one drops the flag ...

Say :

"Hey friend ,is your truck excited for the race ,or is that a puddle of oil I see under your truck right now coming out of your bellhousing " ??

Floor your truck at completition ,and your in the winners circle !!!!!

Mac

·
Registered
511 Posts
I had that truck! He will beat you.

If you take a stock 6.0 and a DMAX with juice on level 1, it would be a close race, but I think the 6.0 would still edge out

(Thinking to myself; Why do guys do lifts with big tires and want to drag race these 7K trucks???)

·
Banned
394 Posts
hmmm...... stock: close race....when i bought mine i brought the ford to the gmc place and drove both one after the other to see which one had more power....couldnt tell any noticable diff other than the ford on the inside was a ter....

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
2MuchFun.......What do you think would be more embarassing, having a Mustang GT and losing to a gigantic LIFTED 4wd, or a stock looking one.................Besides another friend of mine has a non lifted duramax with the 110 BD chip and only beats me by a fender........and he still has the 245's on...........Again, what lookes cooler, his "little" truck running 15.2's or my "big" truck running 15.3's.........nuf said.

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
variable vane turbo

·
Registered
511 Posts
VVT = Variable Vane Turbo. It is sweet.

As far as racing the big trucks, thats cool. Whatever floats your boat. But If I were into 1/4 mile, I would be using a fast car, not a truck meant for 4x4ing and working. But again, personal choice is what makes the world go round

·
Registered
511 Posts
BTW, Im not on the PSD bandwagon at all, I LOVE my Chevy much more than I ever liked the Ford overall, but I had the 6.0L for 10 months and all I ever did was 4" cat-back. I've had the Dmax for over a month now and just to be honest, the 6.0l was very noticeably quicker. The VVT and the Torqshift are both amazing mechanical creations. But still, I'll take my Chevy/Dmax everyday over the Ford and just throw on the Juice to wake her up

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
2MuchFun.......BTW, I also have a 10 sec big block Chevelle that I do most of my drag racing with..........The Chevelle is definetly a more exciting ride, but to be honest, the truck gets way more attention than than the Chevelle when I run it.

·
Registered
185 Posts
1bad01:.....:Haul the 10sec. Chevelle, Get there, Un-hook, & race both!!!!!

NOW THATS WHAT I'M TALK'N ABOUT!!!!!!
Edited by: JRmac

·
Registered
915 Posts
Racing with the 39's are a blast.. 60' times aren't the best (no 4x4 launch), though she's been running consistant low 14's... I too have a couple camaros (one with a stroker, one with a 502), though it's unexpected for a diesel truck to outrun the little cars.. =)

·
Registered
915 Posts
By the way, I got my a** kicked by a new 6.0 at the dragstrip.. It was rediculous... He had stock exhaust with no muffler and the edge attitude... This longbed, crewcab, 4x4 base worktruck went 13.79... He backed it up with two 13.9 passes.. Yes I even looked his truck over... I did laugh a little though, his back glass said "Lawn enforcement".... Funny stuff.. My truck is getting lowered six inches and a set of 33's Monday for warranty purposes (SUCKS).. I'm hoping this lowered stance will atleast make me faster...

·
Diesel Master
1,858 Posts
I'll bet the difference was in the tire size. Our Attitude makes a little more HP than theirs, but a 39" tire would really slow it down. I am curiuos as to what you run with the 33".

·
Registered
915 Posts
I'm anxious to see as well...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts