Diesel Place banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Not sure where to post this but thought it looked interesting.

http://www.bismanonline.com/display_cat_ads.bmo?cat=69&page=8
The ad says "one of a kind", and that's an understatement. This thing has pickup front sheetmetal, which wouldn't likely match the suburban sheetmetal from the doors back, yet it doesn't look like a modified pickup with sub body grafted on.

I'm told that GM never intended the Dmax for the sub, because the sub chassis is too narrow for the Allison, and sub target market wouldn't buy a 6-speed manual. There was some talk about developing an I-6 diesel for the sub and the 1500's, with a smaller, lighter trans than the Allison 1000. Don't know if that will ever happen. Seems Ford is/was developing one for the F-150, which could also migrate to the Expedition. It was a joint project with Navistar before all the fertilizer hit the ventilator due to reliability issues.

·
Registered
135 Posts
The suburban sheetmetal is the same as the pickup truck from the doors back, the only difference in the two is that the sub has the 99-02 front end where the truck has the 03-05 front...The body has been the same since 99

That truck is sick though...Id love to have something like that

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
There's a company that builds them. It's not a "one of a kind". the problem is that you don't have any warrenty. Pull into the local dealer with a crank case full of fuel and see what they say.

I still want one.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
i think that would be cool to own, and isn't this what alot of people are wanting Gm to come out with.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I don't understand why GM doesn't offer the Dmax in the 'Burban. Someone needs to walk up to the CEO and b!tch slap some sense into him.

Nick

·
Registered
847 Posts
:exactly:

·
Registered
42 Posts
I've had 3 suburbans, and used two of them for towing. My current pickup tows my 9600 lb trailer with much more stability than any of the subs. Problem is the distance between the rear axle and the hitch. With too much length like the sub has, the wind blows the rig all over the road. This sub looks like it's got the short bobtail length of my pickup. It would probably tow very well.

·
Registered
93 Posts
That thing looks sick. Why doesn't GM build one of those! I wonder how the milage is vs. our trucks. It looks just like they took a stock Sub and just changed the front clip to a trucks. I wonder how the engine and tranny look, any special conversions they had to do to get them in there.

·
Registered
18 Posts
That '05 Burb looks pretty sharp. It looks like they did that one right.:cool2:

·
Registered
288 Posts
hi all there is a 2005 duramax suburban on ebay item # 4617328326 the comoany who builds the conversion is out of arvada colorado very awesome truck and i think gm should of built this truck form the start

·
Registered
12,950 Posts
There's a company that builds them. It's not a "one of a kind". the problem is that you don't have any warrenty. Pull into the local dealer with a crank case full of fuel and see what they say.

I still want one.
What would be the difference from any other conversion package? All the rest of the conversions have warranty on the GM built chassy

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Good point. Might be a bit of a stretch. IIRC, most of these are built using totaled/donor vehicles.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Assuming the DMAX fit in the engine compartment GM could use the detuned DMAX from the vans and mate it with the standard GM 4spd auto as done in the vans, right?

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
What would be the difference from any other conversion package? All the rest of the conversions have warranty on the GM built chassy
True - but none of the approved conversions replace the powertrain. And GM does NOT provide a warranty on the non-GM installed parts.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts