Diesel Place banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok everyone, I am back from Thailand and had a great time.

Now, I am getting worried about my DMax. Back in late January I was driving home from work and as I was accelerating my motor just started spitting and sputtering. I let off the pedal and it idled good, but as soon as I started to accelerate again it would just cough at me. I pulled off the side of the road and let it idle for a minute and then it ran good again.

Today, I was coming home from snowboarding and again under acceleration my truck just died. As I was coasting, I put it into neutral and started it back up. I put it into gear and it would just spit and sputter. I kept my foot on the pedal this time, but only slightly until it caught up and ran smooth...

Is this a starting indication of my injectors going out? Or could it be something else? I did not get any SES light. My truck now has 50,000 miles.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Hmm, stored for awhile ~ how many miles on the fuel filter?

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, it was stored for a month. I only have 4,500 miles on fuel filter. This happened before and after it was stored. I have bought my gas from the same source for the past few years.

Thanks, Jeff

·
Registered
398 Posts
<DIV>Sounds like you are growing a colony of bugs in your fuel tank, Get a bottle of algaecide and pour in.</DIV>
<DIV>Get a couple of filters cause they wont last long while it cleaning it self up.</DIV>

·
Registered
224 Posts
Little off the subject, but which squadron you in? I'm over in the 962 AMU. Might have to meet up someday and compare notes.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Gas?

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
I am sure he means FUEL!

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, I do mean fuel. More specifically, Diesel Fuel...

And what about these bugs? Should I get something for it? If I do and if something goes wrong again during that tank, will the dealership void warrenty? Does this even sound like a side effect of bad injector(s)?

Jeff

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
Acehi

I see your from Alaska. How's the weather up there?

Is there any chance that your fuel filter is frezzing up from cold temp's?

My big truck froze up a couple of times this past winter
before I put Standadyne in it. Like you said the truck would idle fine but when I put a load on it it would just spit and sputter until the fuel warmed up enough to unfreeze the filter.

And if it's not that cold up there then maybe you have some other obstruction in your filter like algae problems that John R mentioned. Might be worth changing it just to make sure.

My .02 Good Luck Diesel Dragon

·
Registered
218 Posts
Also make sure no polar bears are sleeping in the engine compartment, happens with cats down here the lower 48.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I just fueled up here in Anchorage today, and the sighn said the fuel was treated for -30 F. It has been in the teens and twenties lately so I don't think freezing could be an issue. Ditto on the algae and or bacteria that others mentioned, (just an opinion). Prepare the truck for a dealer visit and if the problems persists after treatment take it in. Oh, BTW, I was behind you at a stoplight about 5 weeks ago. Your truck was filthy. Maybe it just needs a bath. --SS

·
Registered
192 Posts
Was you running the windshield wipers by any chance when it happened?

Mine will do it when I have the wipers on intermittent. Something to do with the Juice and the windshield wiper circuit board.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nothing like getting a laugh or two from having a problem. I don't believe it is freezing. The truck has gone through a lot worse temps while up in Fairbanks at -45 and never had any problems.

And I already checked for critters sleeping in the engine compartment...

S.S. Yes, my truck is very dirty right now. I can't hand wash it anywhere right now and I have paid $$$ for the car wash and I give up until this freeze-thaw-freeze junk is over. It was nice when the temps stayed below freezing. I drove all winter long with a nice clean truck. Next time honk at me or get my attention... And I hope it wasn't 5 weeks ago, I was in Thailand. If so, I would like to know, so I can have a talk with the buddy that was holding my spare keys while I was gone...

No, I was not running windshield wipers.

Where can I get some of this stuff you are talking about for algea??

Jeff

·
Registered
24 Posts
acehi-

I had the exact same symptoms which I finally narrowed down to some bad fuel at about 8000 miles. I replaced the filter and started using a fuel additive and then replaced the filter again shortly after(hey, they're cheap) and everything has been good since.

-Mike

·
Registered
24 Posts
BTW the "algae stuff" JohnR was referring to is a diesel biocide which you should be able to get anywhere that services diesels or sells diesel additives. The other additives everyone else is referring to are typically used to combat water in the fuel and gelling at cold temps. There are different types & brands - do a search of this forum for additives and you will be bomberded with info & opinions -- decide for yourself.

No matter what you end up adding to your fuel, or even if you drain your tank, change that filter!

-Mike

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had the same prob with my Duramax. I changed my fuel filter and after that it ran perfectly fine. Either something in your tank or you got into some dirty diesel.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts