Diesel Place banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok...well I am having a problem with my 01 LB7 ECSB Dmax 4x4.

I drive this thing all over town everyday and its usually fine.

Anytime I get on the freeway and hold speed for say 5+ minutes at 70-75 mph. The truck will suddenly lose power and act like I turned the key off.

When I hit the throttle the motor kinda responds but isnt really doing anything, I start losing speed. So then I have to click the transmission into neutral, then in neutral the motor wont rev over 2k. Its like the motor is half running and has a 2k rev limiter.

Then after its in neutral for a good 5-10 seconds, when I click back into gear the truck runs fine and accellerates back up to speed.

On a long 30 mile drive yesterday, it did it about 4-5 times on the way there. And only once on the way home.

The only time I have this happen really is when I am cruising at high speed 65+ mph and not accellerating or decelerating in traffic.

The only mods on my truck are a AFE intake, 4" Exhaust and an EDGE /w Att. I unplugged the EDGE and it didnt fix the problem.

I hear people talk about limp mode but it always sounds like it does it under power when the transmission slips. I've never had any problem with the tranny slipping or doing anything with the EDGE, so i dont see why it would do it cruising.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No codes that I know of....its done it 15 times in the last month or so...argh!

·
Registered
339 Posts
Try replacing the fuel filter and then if possible get a tech on her and see if any codes and if your balance rates are ok and if your fuel rail press will ramp up.. Could be leaking injectors??

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am off to get a fuel filter and change it out..

I have HPTuners that I can scan the truck with. Will that read balance rates or anything?

Easiest way to check the injectors?

·
Registered
60 Posts
i had shut down symtoms also. Id be cruising along and the truck would just shut down. It would say battery not charging. I replaced the edge on warrenty and it has only done it once in 6 monthes. Have you spoke to edge about this.

·
Registered
868 Posts
I had the same thing happen on my 03 due to fuel gelling. When it warmed up a bit, the problem went away, and after a few drives, the check engine light cleared itself.

I suspect you have low fuel pressure on the injection rail, due to some blockage in the fuel system at speed. I agree you should change the fuel filter.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Same thing happened to me turned out to be the fuel filter...now I will carry a spare in the toolbox just in case.

·
Registered
31 Posts
fuelfilter

·
Registered
25 Posts
Sounds like mine.

It was the injectors. Warranty work though.

Mine would all of a sudden drop then limit itself to 2000rpm when climbing a grade and SES light comes on. I can't remember the code.

After several times, fuel fiters, and resets, I took it to the stealer and he troubleshot the injectors. 102k at the time. Warranty work and has been ok since (20k agao).

Pain in neck. But nice to have a new set of injectors.

·
Registered
1 Posts
safty mode is what it is , go to dealer so they can read code.My problem was ecu (computor control) and is on one of those secret recalls that they dont tell anyone about,however mine is a 06. Your transmission is going to shift hard once in a while because it is lost and dont know which gear to shift to.This is exactly what happened to mine.Lots of luck hope its not the same problem the ecu is big bucs mine was under warrenty.

·
Registered
350 Posts
have an '02. Same thing. When driving down the road the transmission would slip out of overdrive. Sometimes it would go into a lower gear sometimes it wouldn't. Put it in neutral and back into drive and off i went. Found out it was a transfer case that the dealership replaced after I bought it. Had the problem with the rubbed hole and they exchanged it under warranty (truck did have 120,000 miles and they still made it right). When they put the "new 2 U" transfer case in is when the problem started. They then replaced that transfercase and problem resovled. Said it had something to do with the linkage inside the transfercase. Also had the vavle body replaced for $100 when they did this because they wanted to make sure the transfer case didn't mess up the transmission!! I have a great dealership huh?

·
Registered
4,672 Posts
I'd get it to a dealer to have it evaluated, this way if it's the injectors you're covered, if not at least you know what it is.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Mine did something similar a couple years ago on a trip to Missouri,was below freezing, ended up being a frozen fuel line and ice in the fuel filter.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.