Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had read other posts, about Total Power causing rough idle/poor mileage, and since I had been experiancing the same symptoms, I decided to try a tank without any additives. Idle smoothed out almost imediately, and DIC show approximately 2mpg increase.

Anyone have a theory on why such a highly regarded additive make the engine run poorly?

Got maybe eight bottles I'll sell cheap!!! Not going to run it anymore.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I've been running a combination 1 to 1 of Total Power & Cetane boost (2oz. /10 gal), year round, for a little over 1 year, and have had no problems whatsoever (completely stock motor) . . . . but I am becoming a little concerned, as this seems to be an issue that more & more people are experiencing

·
Registered
939 Posts
jeephauler-

I had the same problem as well with Total Power, except for the fuel mileage problem. There is someone else on this board that reported the same thing, however can't remember his name. It took me a while to figure it out as I started using Total Power the same time as I installed the Nicktane kit. I tried everything I could think of wondering if the filter kit was the problem or if I had an air leak or something. It wasn't until I read another members post stating Total Power was making hi DMAX run rough. Luckily I didn't buy a case, I bought one from a local member here in Colorado to try.

After about a tank or two without adding Total Power my dmax smoothed back out, then I put it in for another tank and it was instantly running rougher with brake pedal vibration as well. After another two tanks without Total Power, it started running smooth again. Not sure what it is, but my dmax doesn't like Total Power. I might try Primrose, or Power Service (not favored here, but is on the Ford and Dodge pages). Crazy, huh??

Bob

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I experienced the same and am holding onto my inventory until summer fuel is avail and try it again ~ then see whats happening

·
Registered
430 Posts
I had the same with my DMAX and Total Power. In addition to rough idle, my engine was also noisier when entering freeways (moderate accelleration). It all went away once I stopped using Total Power. I like the idea of extra lubricity for the pump, and will most likely try Stanadyne next. I know there are good arguments to not use Stanadyne because it demulsify's. My concern is that GM has made their position very clear on additives, and they specifically recommend against products the emulsify.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I too have experienced a loss in mileage since I have been using FPPF products (5 miles per gallon to be exact). I switched back to Power Service. I know a lot of you don't like PS, but my truck sure seems to like it and it is a Demulsifier. That's probably the ownly thing I have done to satisfy GM.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I bought several bottles of FPPF POLAR POWER and something weird happned. The polar power comes in a totally black bottle and it's impossible to guage, so I calibrated a diet coke bottle and left it outdoors on a -22 below night. It clouded and definately thickned in concentrate form! This stuff is supposed to keep my fuel from gelling????

·
Registered
909 Posts
No problems with Primrose 405. I don't leave home without it.

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
Smell fppf......
Then smell stanadyne-primrose and all the others.

Fppf smells like paint stripper. Primrose smells like unscented soap. I took one whiff of the fppf and said no way.....

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
thats how i tell if my diesel is fresh or not

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Roegs said:
I had the same with my DMAX and Total Power. In addition to rough idle, my engine was also noisier when entering freeways (moderate accelleration). It all went away once I stopped using Total Power. I like the idea of extra lubricity for the pump, and will most likely try Stanadyne next. I know there are good arguments to not use Stanadyne because it demulsify's. My concern is that GM has made their position very clear on additives, and they specifically recommend against products the emulsify.

Wondering if the ruffness is due to the use of an emulsifier moving previously demulsified water thru the system?

·
Registered
242 Posts
I am amazed at what I learn here!

I started using Total Power in early January and my MPG dropped from 16.5 to 15ish. Thought it was the cold weather at first. Switched 2 tanks ago and I'm slowly climbing back up towards 16+. Also noticed a rough idle and this weird rattling sound at 3000RPM's just before each shift. After reading this thread and driving the truck I realize that has all gone away now.

One question - the Total Power I bought was concentrated (8 ounces to treat 120-240 gallons) and it calculates out to only needing to use 1 ounce or so per 20 gallons. Could too much additive somehow dillute the fuel and cause these issues?

Fred G

·
Registered
444 Posts
I have not used FPPF but I looked at it's ingredients and I am not really sure why FPPF would cause a rough idle and such a noticable drop in fuel mileage.

It around 40% petroleum distillate, 30% Glycol ether, 2% naptha and 1% Trimethylbenzine. The only ingredient that is way higher in FPPF than other diesel fuel addittive formulas I've researched is the Glycol ether. Other products usually run only about a 5-7% Glycol derivative.

A glycol ether is a solvent and a liquid flow improver. It also is the ingredient that is a coupling agent for water. So it's cleaning your fuel system, improving the flow of the fuel and couples the water with your fuel so it is burned in your engine.

I am not a chemist, so I therefor do not claim to be an authority on this. The only thing I would guess is that it is somehow lowering the Cetain #.

I am not pro or con as to whether you should use FPPF. I am just listing the ingredients and what they are suppose to do.

I use Stanadyne Performance formula. I find in cold weather the truck actually runs smoother, smokes way less at extreme cold start ups and start very easy.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Total Power contains a cetane booster in addition to the other things you mentioned.

I run 8 ounces of Total Power mixed 1 to 1 with the cetane boost and average 17.7 mpg on the highway.Thats running empty at 65 to 75 mph.(8 oz total per 26 gal tank)

Hard for me to believe that the FPPF is causing a mileage loss and rough running.

How much are you guys adding per tank?

·
Vendor
9,678 Posts
The majority (myself included) of the Total Power users will see the exact opposite of what some are reporting. Unless one were to run a trial over several tanks of fuel with known quality base fuel, I'd chock it up to a fluke, OR some form of a conflict with the source fuel.

I've had customers with lopy idle (RPCV going bad) run TP and minimize/eliminate the lope for quite some time. Once it started creeping back in, TP was discontinued and the lope worsened enough to get warranty service performed.

TP has been in every tank of fuel in my Dmax since new, and will continue until I find something better...

·
Registered
939 Posts
Kennedy,

Good points, I always fill at the same Shell station using their premium diesel (only choice), unless out of the area on a trip. My runs both with and without FPPF where made using the same Shell station. I have no idea if there is some type of conflict with Shell premium diesel and FPPF. Hopefully this doesn't turn into another UNI thread...

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
<DIV>Fluke, I don't think so. I have been experiencing rough idle and poor mileage for some time (months). It was only after reading other posts at this site which prompted me to stop using TP. The first thing I noticed, with a full tank of untreated diesel, was smoother idle, and increased MPG. How is this a fluke when other posters have reported the same thing? I will not stop using additives, but will not continue to use TP. It is clear, that at least my Dmax, does not like it.</DIV>

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
i have been running FPPF for 15K, and recently ordered some primrose 405. i make several 400 mile runs every month and will test the difference in mileage and idle. I had noticed a little rattle but thought (may still think) it was due to colder temperatures here.

marc

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I used Total Power the previous two winters with no problems. My local dealer was out so I bought a bottle of Power Service. I started using it back in early Oct. About the middle of Oct. my mileage starting going south along with the bottom end performance. I could have blamed it on the Power Service but I have run a lot of it in the past. I have a good friend it the bulk fuel business. He said because of the colder than normal weather the refineries were blending too much #1 to prevent problems. The weather would warm for a week and they would change their ratio. There ain't no way that you will get the same fuel two weeks in a row this time of year unless your retailer isn't selling much. I fuel at my friend's truck stop. He hauls his own fuel 5-6 days a week. My mileage will be down two or three tanks and back up 3 MPG. I have keep a spreadsheet on every tank for over 41K miles. I haven't seen anything like this before. Later! Frank

1 - 20 of 32 Posts