Diesel Place banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright Im new here and to diesels, so the ? is should my truck be getting more than 12 MPG. Details an the truck are, it is an LB7 dmax 04 ECSB 4x4. the reson i ask this is ive been told that I should be getting 16-18 MPG, Also the truck has been throwing the same 4 codes. Im at work at the moment so i have to post those tomorrow. Any thoughts on why the truck seems to do so poorly on fuel mileage are very aperctated(sp)

Thanks
Rob

·
Registered
298 Posts
When was the last time the fuel filter was changed? Do you notice any appreciable power loss? Do you use any type of fuel additive ie: Stanadyne etc? Have you added any mods ie: power programmer, etc? If none of the above are applicable and you are throwing codes then maybe a visit to the dealer is in order since your truck is still be under the 3 year bumper to bumper warranty??!! Good luck....................SWH...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the fuel filter is brand new. well power loss I dont know, Its no power house IMO. No fuel additives. All the dealer tells me is No codes and it runs fine. Yes I do have HPP3 but i wont program it untill it get better mileage.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Your mileage is almost as bad as the gassers. The stealer will find the problem for you if you don't mind waiting till it's not under warranty. I would start with the simple things too like fuel and air filters. I averaged 16 the only time I ever checked mine from Texas to North Carolina pulling the wife's Jeep (and all her shoes.)

02 2500HD Crew Cab, SB, 4x4, LB7, Westin Nerf Bars, Galaxy 10 meter, Craftsman truck box, leveling kit. 82,000 miles.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Get your balance rates checked, it could be injectors. Fill out your sig so we can see what you have. Is your crankcase over full? Check it, also see if it smells like fuel, if it does then it is definatly injectors.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Crank case is fine, No fuel smell with oil. The only thing I can think of as to why the truck get poor milage is that the first owner pulled a 12,000 lbs trailer as soon as he got it. So I think he didnt break it in right. Tonight when I get home I'll double cheak the fuel filter.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Alright Im new here and to diesels, so the ? is should my truck be getting more than 12 MPG. Details an the truck are, it is an LB7 dmax 04 ECSB 4x4. the reson i ask this is ive been told that I should be getting 16-18 MPG, Also the truck has been throwing the same 4 codes. Im at work at the moment so i have to post those tomorrow. Any thoughts on why the truck seems to do so poorly on fuel mileage are very aperctated(sp)

Thanks
Rob
Do you still have the stock tires or have you upgraded to larger tires (ie. 285's, 315's)?

I have an 04 and the things that directly effect my gas mileage are:

1. Heavy right foot
2. Dirt fuel filter
3. Dirty air filter
4. Low tire pressure

And in case I didn't mention it, a heavy right foot will effect gas mileage. If I drive like grandpa I get 17.5 MPG combined City/Hwy on a tank of gas. If I drive like and 18 year old I get 13 MPG.

My mileage did decrease when I upgraded to 285's from 245's. I also have a Hypertech Power Programmer III and it does help with the gas mileage. I run the HPP III on Stage One with the corrected tire size.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do you still have the stock tires or have you upgraded to larger tires (ie. 285's, 315's)?

I have an 04 and the things that directly effect my gas mileage are:

1. Heavy right foot
2. Dirt fuel filter
3. Dirty air filter
4. Low tire pressure

And in case I didn't mention it, a heavy right foot will effect gas mileage. If I drive like grandpa I get 17.5 MPG combined City/Hwy on a tank of gas. If I drive like and 18 year old I get 13 MPG.

My mileage did decrease when I upgraded to 285's from 245's. I also have a Hypertech Power Programmer III and it does help with the gas mileage. I run the HPP III on Stage One with the corrected tire size.
the tires are 265s even with programed and tire size corrected did help

1. light right foot
2. new fuel filter
3. not so new air filter
4. tire pressure i havent cheaked

So I'll program it on stage 1 whith correted tire size and see what happens.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I fixed it. Its getting about 16-18 MPG now. It was a glog in the intake, some how there was a piece of paper stuck to the MAFS. I have no clue how but it runs like a bat out of hell now. Thanks for all the help.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts