Diesel Place banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys....newbie to the site.

I'm a gasser, but am in the planning stages of doing an intercooled turbo setup and an LS1 swap (the motor is going in within a couple of weeks, but the turbo(s) are several months off) into my 2001 Sierra 1500.

I have a few newbie questions, and I can't seem to find much info on the i'coolers by searching, so I'm hoping that you guys could help out...

1) How efficient are they?

2) Where/how are they mounted to the truck?

3)Are there any aftermarket "bolt-in" i'cooler upgrades that might better suit my application?

TIA for your help! :DEdited by: Scream

·
Banned
2,530 Posts
Welcome to the diesel place.

I'm not sure how inter-cooler efficiency is measured, if it is, but from what I've seen, read, heard..ect...they are very beneficial. The idea is to remove as much of the heat produced by compression and the heat that is transfered from the exhaust in the turbo from the air. The most common/simple type is air to air. The Dmax uses an air to air inter-cooler. It's mounted in the same manner as, and parallel with the radiator. It works a lot like a radiator as well. I would bet that a dmax inter-cooler will work very well in your truck. It may even bolt right in, however it may not as the radiator support may be different on the 1500. You might want to just find someone close to you that has a Dmax powered truck and check it out. You should be able to eye ball and measure to see what all you'll need. Good luck...keep us posted along the way.

Ox

·
Registered
238 Posts
Intercoolers are measured two ways. What temp will they remove from the turbo outlet to the intake. Good intercoolers will drop the temp from about 250 output to about 20 degrees above ambient. The second measurement is pressure drop. Good intercoolers will only drop about 1-1.5 psi from inlet to outlet. There is a book that you should get called Maximum Boost by Corky Bell. Will tell you more than you ever wanted to know about turbo charging.

Jess

1 - 4 of 4 Posts